Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Adom 1.2 Artifact suggestions for the Creator (now that dozens are needed)

Quote Originally Posted by nipon621 View Post
    I think that the inventory destruction in this game is ridiculous.
    I think it's perfect. You just end up learning not to be too attached to your stuff.

I've had a lot of accidents - getting my stuff vaporized because of laziness with altars, poisoning all my potions, going into the BDC unprepared, tripping every ceiling trap in the Mana Temple... but in the end, you just let off a healthy string of expletives and soldier on. Losing some stuff is very very rarely game-ending. I mean, did you really need your blessed arrow of targeting (+6, 1d6), or your heap of 2 uncursed rings of the fish, or necklace of the silver tongue {Ch+3}?

But I like the idea of giving it the essence of chaos and corruption. You can still drag it down to the BDC if you want, but you pay the price.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterAsc View Post
    I fail to understand the meaning of Magical Tablet.
    It's not like your inventory is a database with 10 mln of unsorted entries.
    It's already sorted. Now what 'search' means?As search by keywords? Strange thing.

Inventory destruction is manageable, unless you want to use easily destructible items (whips and the likes of them).
    Yeah, sorry. I am particularly cranky today and I'm under a tremendous amount of pressure, so on and so forth.

The tablet was more of a joke at my own expense, as I am a major pack rat and was poking fun at my earlier comment as a way of both trying to validate JellySlayer's criticism (perceived criticism mind you - again, I am cranky today) as well as ease the tension a bit that I had assumed I had created with my confrontational tone. In retrospect, you would probably need to know a good deal more of what was going on in my head for the joke to accomplish anything at all, other than confusion.

Of note, I do have aspergers (I am one of the most outgoing people with aspergers that you will ever meet) which can sometimes make my statements seem a bit off.

But yeah, I was just thinking that it would be nice to say.... sort items alphabetically, or by beatitude, effect, duration (potion of boost willpower vs potential willpower). The main benefit would be management of a large inventory, which is unlikely to be smiled upon by everyone here, and some may feel that it could encourage scumming.

Of course, if you want to seriously consider the idea, there are a couple of ways to use it strategically. First of all, you can ensure that you know exactly how many of each item you have (via subtype sorting or the search) which can allow for more careful planning.

But again, it was not a serious idea. The tablet appearance was supposed to be akin to one of those PDA tablet scanner guns that are used when receiving shipments to keep track of inventory.
    I need a shorter sig.

Quote Originally Posted by nipon621 View Post
    Magical Tablet
    It looks like a small black tablet made of eternium and glass, but it is actually a Magical Tablet.
    It can be worn in the tool slot.
    When 'U'sed it allows you to magically search, sort, and manage your inventory
    I would use it. I dislike how items are put into categories based on the order you pick them up. Although I don't save every item I find, I do save most potions, wands, and scrolls. It's pretty silly that you can have multiple items of the same type scattered around your inventory. If they were sorted within their category I would have a much better idea of what I have. Obviously sorting your inventory should also consume a bunch of turns, but I would really appreciate an item like this. I almost think it should be a guaranteed artifact from some minor quest. Information is power, and I don't think I'd like it if only some of my chumps got this useful tool.
    Last edited by biomateria; 10-03-2012 at 05:08 AM.

The Eldritch Axe "Snaga"

weight. 200s.

When used as a melee weapon it has +16 to hit and deals 10d5 + 10 damage
    When thrown it has +10 to hit and deals 5d5 + 10 damage

it is very good at scoring critical hits.
    it is a demon slayer.
    its is a humanoid slayer.
    Last edited by ghostrobotmoonzombie; 10-03-2012 at 06:40 AM.
    All Races as Barbarians.

As a topic of item destruction is being discussed, let's settle for this one:

Potion of raw steel:
    Does not contain Essence (so you can dip potions).
    Dipped items (no stacks allowed) are made indestructible for everything except sacrificing. Dipping corrupts heavily (~3d2 corruptions, elemental gauntlets give a usual 50% discount). Good before unicorn cleaning for 7lb, bracers of regen or such.
    Not overpowered, but you can allow yourself some luxury if you have extra corruption removal.

Exact corruption rate is to be balanced of course.

EDIT: my, obvious patch thanks to grobble -- AoLS is used up properly even if indestructible.
    Last edited by _Ln_; 10-03-2012 at 02:20 PM.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    Potion of raw steel
    Wait, dipping does not use it up?

*Salivates*

Code:
    He: uncursed helmet of waterbreathing [+2, +3] (indestructible)
    Ne: uncursed amulet of life saving (indestructible)
    Bo: uncursed clothes of life [+3, +3] (indestructible)
    Gi: uncursed girdle of giant strength [+0, +1] {Str +14} (indestructible)
    Cl: uncursed cloak of invisibility [+3, +0] (indestructible)
    RH: blessed phase dagger (+2, 1d4+3) (indestructible)
    LH: blessed phase dagger (+2, 1d4+3) (indestructible)
    RR: uncursed ring of slaying (+6 melee damage, +6 missile damage)
    LR: uncursed ring of slaying (+6 melee damage, +6 missile damage)
    Br: plain bracers of toughness [+0, +0] {To+6} (indestructible)
    Ga: uncursed gloves of smiting +6 (indestructible)
    Bo: blessed seven league boots [+1, +2] (indestructible)
    MW: -
    Mi: blessed penetrating boomerang of slaying (+3, 2d4+1) (indestructible)
    Tl: blessed pickaxe (+0, 1d6) (indestructible)

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrobotmoonzombie View Post
    The Eldritch Axe "Snaga"
    This is vanquisher with +13 to hit, +19 to damage..
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 10-03-2012 at 12:36 PM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

The pale long sword "Glamdring"

It slays humanoids.
    It slays dragons.
    It glows when enemies are nearby.

A pale sword that provides a light radius that fluctuates based on the presence of enemies.

Anybody who's read The Hobbit knows what Glamdring is--Gandalf's sword, of course! The name and slays are debatable, but since we already have Sting as a dagger, I think this would be a nice artifact long sword, since there aren't many of them. (Edit: maybe we can throw in an artifact staff that can be dual-wielded only with this sword )

The flaming scourge "Gothmog's Lash" (+8 speed) (two-handed)

It slays cold-based creatures.
    It provides immunity to fire.

A two-handed fiery scourge.

Again, slays and damage are debatable. This is the whip that Gothmog (the Balrog Gandalf informed would not pass) once wielded. Since I'm not good at providing decent damage dies, I'll leave that up to debate.
    Last edited by Knight; 10-03-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Wait, dipping does not use it up?

*Salivates*

Code:
    He: uncursed helmet of waterbreathing [+2, +3] (indestructible)
    Ne: uncursed amulet of life saving (indestructible)
    Bo: uncursed clothes of life [+3, +3] (indestructible)
    Gi: uncursed girdle of giant strength [+0, +1] {Str +14} (indestructible)
    Cl: uncursed cloak of invisibility [+3, +0] (indestructible)
    RH: blessed phase dagger (+2, 1d4+3) (indestructible)
    LH: blessed phase dagger (+2, 1d4+3) (indestructible)
    RR: uncursed ring of slaying (+6 melee damage, +6 missile damage)
    LR: uncursed ring of slaying (+6 melee damage, +6 missile damage)
    Br: plain bracers of toughness [+0, +0] {To+6} (indestructible)
    Ga: uncursed gloves of smiting +6 (indestructible)
    Bo: blessed seven league boots [+1, +2] (indestructible)
    MW: -
    Mi: blessed penetrating boomerang of slaying (+3, 2d4+1) (indestructible)
    Tl: blessed pickaxe (+0, 1d6) (indestructible)
    I hope you have 30 SoCRs kicking around then. That's 42d2 corruptions, not corruption points, that it would cost you to do this.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Yes, that was an exaggeration, sorry.

However, it is not 42d2 corruptions. The rings are always safe so the equipment list I wrote would be 12 uses. Elemental gauntlets half corruption, so we'd be looking at 18d2 = 27 corruptions. Clearing that much corruption is possible if you're a monk and spend a wish on magical writing sets. Basically, 3d2 corruptions divided by two means every use takes a little more than 1 scroll to clear corruption.

Nitpicking aside, I feel making items indestructible is just.. not adom-like. Some items are only reasonable because they're vulnerable, especially a penetrating boomerang or boomerang of slaying. Or an unerring boomerang of slaying.
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 10-03-2012 at 02:51 PM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Yes, that was an exaggeration, sorry.

However, it is not 42d2 corruptions. The rings are always safe so the equipment list I wrote would be 12 uses. Elemental gauntlets half corruption, so we'd be looking at 18d2 = 27 corruptions. Clearing that much corruption is possible if you're a monk and spend a wish on magical writing sets.

Nitpicking aside, I feel making items indestructible is just.. not adom-like. Some items are only reasonable because they're vulnerable, especially a penetrating boomerang or boomerang of slaying.
    I've yet to see ego boomerang despite numerous games. If talking seriously, there aren't just that many things you would like to make indestructible and anyway by the time you have them, you don't really need them (just very like them). Notable and only exception is 7lb, but I'm taking into account their highly possible nerf. Or maybe an AoLS in (greater) vault of black dragons, but seriously, how possible is that on practice.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.