Thread: Unusually challenging situations you attempt anyways

Default Unusually challenging situations you attempt anyways

As title suggests, I was just wondering what sort of situations you've plunged yourself into, on purpose, outside of the normal bounds of the game. For the most part, I'm not talking about restrictions you place on the game yourself (unless they're particularly interesting!) but situations that arise during play tha are unusually dangerous to you and you attempt anyways.

For example, I was recently playing a Dwarven Priest that would eventually YASD to a greater dragon vault (1.2.0 - sage = what hp warnings? = distraction dead) that had the misfortune of having the only Fireproof Blanket he had generated burn up prior to the ToEF, and didn't acquire a single Ring of Ice. Rather than take the boring route of farming for another one and/or a Ring of Ice, I attempted the tower without either, equipping lesser non-fireproof items and leaving my 7LBs behind, along with all of my inventory except a small handful of lizards/stoma, a pickaxe, and a couple slings and rocks. I managed to beat the ACW with just that, after two wishes for pickaxes (second was accidental, but my pickaxe had burned prior to the top floor), 2+ wishes for health while fighting him, and a long drawn out fight involving praying for luck on my bolt spells (my ranged weapons that i brought burned too, all 3 of them) and trying to out damage his regeneration with rocks/minor punishment. Was a blast though!

I know I've had other situations occur, but that's the most recent one that came to mind and made me want to start this thread.
    So anyone have any interesting situations they'd like to share?
    Normal - GE Ranger, Human Monk, GE Wizard, Hurthling Beastfighter, Hurthling Farmer
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

I tried backstabbing the Ancient Karmic Wyrm with the twin daggers with a high level assassin (high dagger skill), thinking I would be able to one-hit kill it.

Ok, I admit that was more suicidal than interesting.
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 08-27-2012 at 06:19 PM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Always starting in the SMC->UD
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

I did the Fire Temple without equipment protection, too - in my recorded Let's Play, no less.

I remember the time, after winning, that I took my level 50 barbarian and jumped into the Rift naked, with only a couple bits of gnomish candy to my name. I beat a diamond golem to pulp with my fists. Never did come out, since I tried to melee a doppelganger king in the library (but at that point I already had equipment again, so it was getting boring anyway)
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

If i'm playing a spell caster i'll go into the ToEF without a blanket without even thinking about it. Scumming for a ring of ice / blanket is just plain boring, playing time it would often be quicker to just start a new character.

Obviously with the less powerful characters you can't do that, because your relying on disablers.

I never scum for blankets or rings of ice. If I don't have one by the time I'm done the Water Orb and High Kings, I just do without.

On a couple of occasions I've cleared the Banshee without using deafness because I didn't have beeswax for whatever reason. Pretty much I never grind for items, so if I'm missing something, I just have to figure out how to do without it.

I love clearing mixed vaults, and will usually clear them whenever I can.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

DH. Many of my characters have found an untimely death, and others have found glory and loot, by going into DH when sensible people would stay the hell away from those tunnels.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    DH. Many of my characters have found an untimely death, and others have found glory and loot, by going into DH when sensible people would stay the hell away from those tunnels.
    On the way through the DH with my recent UCG paladin, he walked through DH2 and saw a golden wand sitting on the floor... picked it up. Glowing Wand. 4 charges. Ever since then i've been addicted to DH!