Thread: ADOM 1.2.1 Prelease 1 Windows 7 won't start

Default ADOM 1.2.1 Prelease 1 Windows 7 won't start

I can't start ADOM, as soon as I open it it goes away/ disappears. I had no outstanding saves so I'm not concerned about that and I redownloaded the same version and several others to no avail. I checked other threads that said to delete a certain file in adom_dat but I can't find it, did a system search and manually searched for over an hour, there is no appdata file or anything else. Help?

EDIT: Excuse the misspellings. If anyone knows where to find where ADOM stores its files on Windows 7 (Its x64 bit btw) It would be extremely helpful. I, however cannot find it so maybe its hidden? Any help is awesome help, thanks. Its driving me nuts as I would like to get back to dying many horrible deaths.
    Last edited by Eric-the-red; 08-29-2012 at 06:39 PM.

It's a known issue. Files should be at C:\Users\User_Name\AppData\Local\ADOM. You need to delete a file named "adom.prc"
    Proud member of Team Silfir in the Treasure Hunter debate.

As stated above, there is no appdata folder. Searched it, can't find it anywhere. I believe I had it at one time, but it looks like I don't anymore. I never messed with it in the remotest in the past so I have no idea where it couldve gone if I indeed had it to start with.

I know in Windows XP that file is in a hidden folder. Probably the same for Windows 7. So you might need to change your settings so you are able to view hidden folders/files.
    Learn to learn.

You mean the adom_dat folder? If it's not there it will be generated when you run the game. Just delete the entire ADOM folder and it'll be recreated. You'll lose high scores, saves, config files, etc. but it'll load again.
    Proud member of Team Silfir in the Treasure Hunter debate.

Again, I tried multiple times starting it, it has been deleted and redownloaded multiple times. There is no adom_dat or an appdata folder.

Have you tried searching the filesystem for files named adom? I don't know if there could be a case where the adom_dat would be created elsewhere, but it's a possibility.

Enable Hidden Files if you haven't already - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...w-hidden-files
    If you still can't find it, try this method:

1) Right click on My Computer, select Properties.
    2) Go to the Advanced tab, and select Environment Variables in the Startup and Recovery section.
    3) In the Environment Variables section, under "User variables for USER", create a New variable called ADOM_HOME.
    4) The value for the variable should be where you want your adom_dat folder to go, so select something easy, like the desktop.

For example, C:\Documents and Settings\FantomFang\Desktop

With that done, you've relocated where ADOM saves its games and stores its data. If you still fail to load ADOM, there's most likely a more serious problem going on, as you shouldn't run into problems with adom.prc with the brand new home directory.
    Normal - GE Ranger, Human Monk, GE Wizard, Hurthling Beastfighter, Hurthling Farmer
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

It works! I've found both appdata and adom_dat. Many many thanks! Axes High!
    Last edited by Eric-the-red; 08-29-2012 at 07:32 PM.