Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ADOM 1.2.0 changes? Newbie question

If you have fireproof blankets then nothing in your backpack will burn up so no worries there.

On you however, stuff will melt/burn!

Things to watch out for. Anything made of Iron, leather, or wood! Your cloak will always burn I think, no avoiding it. If an Item doesn't say it's made of Mithril, or Crystal, or Eternium, or Adamantium, or Stone, then it will probably burn up!

Also, Artifacts will not burn up!

If you have teleport control, then you I think raiding Darkforge will help out! Artifacts will help too! Have you tried to kill the Pyramid yet? You get two good artifacts that can help you out if you do it! But don't wait, it's closed at level 18 I think!

Anyways, I've done the Tower of Fire several times without any boots, gloves, bracers, or cloak among other things! As a spell caster you should be just fine! Everything there is Vulnerable to Frost Bolt I think!

The real trick, is having something to handle the Boss there! Start thinking about it! If you want more specific tips I can tell you if you want! Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by nipon621 View Post
    Oh, and I have like 9 potions of exchange... would it be possible/likely to just use that to get rings of ice/djinni summoning (to get rings of ice)?
    Go to D:8, dip your biggest ring stack in a PoEX, and hope for the best every time. The potions must be blessed.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
    If you have fireproof blankets then nothing in your backpack will burn up so no worries there.

On you however, stuff will melt/burn!

Things to watch out for. Anything made of Iron, leather, or wood! Your cloak will always burn I think, no avoiding it. If an Item doesn't say it's made of Mithril, or Crystal, or Eternium, or Adamantium, or Stone, then it will probably burn up!

Also, Artifacts will not burn up!

If you have teleport control, then you I think raiding Darkforge will help out! Artifacts will help too! Have you tried to kill the Pyramid yet? You get two good artifacts that can help you out if you do it! But don't wait, it's closed at level 18 I think!

Anyways, I've done the Tower of Fire several times without any boots, gloves, bracers, or cloak among other things! As a spell caster you should be just fine! Everything there is Vulnerable to Frost Bolt I think!

The real trick, is having something to handle the Boss there! Start thinking about it! If you want more specific tips I can tell you if you want! Good Luck!
    Yeah, I was worried about worn item destruction, but apparently artifact gauntlets protect rings. I got Preserver as a random drop (be jealous ) and my pv/dv look ok with all meltable items removed. Did the pyramid at level 16 (it closes at 17) with a blind controlled teleport to where the upstairs should be (b/c my last guy was melted by acid) and am currently wearing the mummy wrapping. So I will loot Darkforge, but not quite yet.

If you say a caster should be fine, then I'm gonna go for it.

Would I even be able to hit the dragon with Death Ray, and would it do any damage? I have quite a few casts of it left - usually saved for things that I cannot allow to live another turn.

Maybe if I find some more rings I may end up doing the wish engine thing. I'd rather beat the game legit before I resort to that (b/c my character is pretty capable of doing it once I get a couple more things).

-Matt

I don't know about Death Ray hitting. It's easy for the Dragon to Shrug off all bolts. For sure it won't kill him. The best bet, IMO, is to use disablers. Throwing potions of wonder, cursed potions of Invisibility, sickness, etc...

I usually use a wand of Stunning or stun ray. It takes a few casts, but is fairly safe. Do you have the water orb and elemental gauntlets yet? Also, you should try to have at least 200 hp before you go for it, IMO.

Good luck! Tower of Fire is a big hurdle! Most characters I play go down the main dungeon as far as possible before they do it to have every chance of getting gear and experience beforehand.

Remember! If you have the Elemental Gauntlets on, you take less corruption from the Water Orb when you use it! Don't be afraid to! Better that you get corrupted than you die!

Speaking of changes in 1.2; has anyone seen the good old stone giant lord in the high mountain village in 1.2 prerelease 2? I've been there at least five times in this version and haven't seen it. I used to hate the guy so much but now I kind of miss it when it's gone. (In some earlier version I think it was nearly guaranteed to be there.) Actually he would fit nicely into a challenge game of sorts I've been playing lately: take an elven thief, bard or merchant and go straight to the SmC, get blanket and go through the Unremarkable Dungeon, all the way to the High Mountain Village. The STL would serve as a cool boss fight (which would be nearly impossible to win with this race-class combo.)

I almost never see the stone giant lord in the HMV in 1.1.1.
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

Quote Originally Posted by nipon621 View Post
    Would I even be able to hit the dragon with Death Ray, and would it do any damage? I have quite a few casts of it left - usually saved for things that I cannot allow to live another turn.
    ADOM is a different from most role-playing games regarding these spells. Death Ray and Petrification won't work on (m)any powerful monsters, but disablers such as stunning, blindness and paralyzation, which leaves monsters completely helpless, work on everyone. Monsters can shrug bolts off, but they'll eventually connect given enough attempts. So hold on to those wands of stunning and cursed potions of invisibility, and train your Stun Ray if you're a spellcaster.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalRat View Post
    Speaking of changes in 1.2; has anyone seen the good old stone giant lord in the high mountain village in 1.2 prerelease 2?
    Yes, and his thrown rocks hurt
    "And light there be!"

Most monsters can be killed by death rays. There's no guarantee it will stick on the first casting though.

Death Ray and Petrification won't work on (m)any powerful monsters, but disablers such as stunning, blindness and paralyzation, which leaves monsters completely helpless, work on everyone.
    Some monsters are immune to many of these effects, actually. Undead and constructs in particular are immune to most disablers.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Some monsters are immune to many of these effects, actually. Undead and constructs in particular are immune to most disablers.
    Very true, I forgot. Surprising that a skeleton is immune to paralysis but Andor Drakon only needs to be bolted enough times, huh?
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalRat View Post
    Speaking of changes in 1.2; has anyone seen the good old stone giant lord in the high mountain village in 1.2 prerelease 2? I've been there at least five times in this version and haven't seen it. I used to hate the guy so much but now I kind of miss it when it's gone. (In some earlier version I think it was nearly guaranteed to be there.) Actually he would fit nicely into a challenge game of sorts I've been playing lately: take an elven thief, bard or merchant and go straight to the SmC, get blanket and go through the Unremarkable Dungeon, all the way to the High Mountain Village. The STL would serve as a cool boss fight (which would be nearly impossible to win with this race-class combo.)
    I know I have seen him at least once. I know I have seen another H up there twice - didn't bother to check what it was. I was too busy killing it because the first rock it threw cut my HP in half.