Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wishing mechanics???

I mean in terms of the time/boredom investment. I can't stand farming herbs for more than 5 or 10 minutes, especially for the paltry average returns you get for precrowning.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Time is also a limited resource - but it's limited at different points depending on the player. The only limit technically to herbs is your willingness to spend time abusing their infinite growth. For me it stops even before the first precrown, though I do tend to get around eighty morgia, fifty mosses and spenseweed and stomafillia along the way, if available. Some curaria and alraunia too if I don't have enough from gardenwork already.

I would never, never wish for herb seeds. Even if I had Gardening. There's potential benefit there, but takes far too much time, and herbs are readily available without a wish anyway.

Tedious busywork breeds boredom, boredom breeds carelessness, carelessnes breeds death.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Magical writing sets are a great wish for monks especially.
    I almost exclusively play monks, and my extra wishes go to either writing sets or !quickling blood. But I'm wondering as to why you point out this is the case for monks especially? Do we get some extra bonus from writing sets that other classes don't have?

Monks do not suffer any penalties for writing scrolls.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

What penalties are ordinarily suffered? I still lose PP/HP from writing scrolls

You shouldn't lose mana, though. Just PP/HP
    Proud member of Team Silfir in the Treasure Hunter debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Aplier View Post
    What penalties are ordinarily suffered? I still lose PP/HP from writing scrolls
    Specifically, you lose a very large amount of mana when writing SoCRs (probably the most common use of writing sets?). Most (all?) other classes lose 10 Ma per scroll. Other important scrolls (like education) lead to a similar, though greatly reduced, reduction in Ma.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta View Post
    Specifically, you lose a very large amount of mana when writing SoCRs (probably the most common use of writing sets?). Most (all?) other classes lose 10 Ma per scroll. Other important scrolls (like education) lead to a similar, though greatly reduced, reduction in Ma.
    Well damn, no wonder writing sets always felt brokenly overpowered to me. I already thought monks were pretty much the best considering all of our awesome other bonuses.

I'm usually well stocked on SoCR's from mid game on, and will make scrolls of defense/protection to make up for the lack of eternium plate/shield. This makes 1 wish usually worth 20-30 dv or pv depending on how lucky I get with the writing sets and scrolls (also makes it suck even more when my Blessed 7LB +8,+6 are destroyed by an acid trap).

Finding out how much of an advantage I've been getting from wishing for writing sets almost makes me feel scummy now.

p.s. methinks this should be added in the guidebook under Undocumented Character Abilities

Well, there's always smithing if you want to be overpowered. Admittedly you can't smith 7LB, but hopefully having +9 +9 bracers, hat, gloves and girdle will numb the pain.

This is the most recent thread, so I feel that this question belongs here.

Does anyone know if it is possible to wish for the corpse of a monster?

Edit: I don't know why I asked other than I forgot that I had made an archmage for testing non situational stuff (that and I'm lazy) ... so I just tested it, and no, you can't usefully wish for a giant slug corpse
    Last edited by nipon621; 10-15-2012 at 11:46 PM.
    I need a shorter sig.