Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wishing mechanics???

You can ask for "corpses" though, and that will give you a few of matching danger level.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    You can ask for "corpses" though, and that will give you a few of matching danger level.
    But that would take a ton of wishes to guarantee the intrinsic... I wonder... hrm... do you think that it might be modified by spawning tendencies? Maybe wishing for corpses at the bottom level of the DD would give a higher chance? Or for the sake of example, wishing for corpses in the BDL would be likely to give blue dragon variant corpses?

I'm gonna go test this.

Edit: Actually, I'm not (at least not the giant slug specifically) as I seem to have forgotten my wishing gear at home. But I will test this later.
    Last edited by nipon621; 10-16-2012 at 12:03 AM.
    I need a shorter sig.

Quote Originally Posted by nipon621 View Post
    you can't usefully wish for a giant slug corpse
    You can. Get ammunition of hunting and wish for a giant slug.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

But that would take a ton of wishes to guarantee the intrinsic... I wonder... hrm... do you think that it might be modified by spawning tendencies? Maybe wishing for corpses at the bottom level of the DD would give a higher chance? Or for the sake of example, wishing for corpses in the BDL would be likely to give blue dragon variant corpses?
    Yes, it wouldn't be at all practical, I only mentioned it as a related fact.

I know that wishing for "corpses" in BUGWL still gives random ones, so it probably only considers DL.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    You can. Get ammunition of hunting and wish for a giant slug.
    Are missiles of hunting that effective? I thought the odds were very low even with Food Preservation at 100%. I have yet to generate a corpse in a non-hacked game. Once found a would-be giant slug threat room in the TotHK, which Fire Bolt and a cloak of invisibility made easy work of, but no dice
    "And light there be!"

Are missiles of hunting that effective?
    Maybe only on animals, I'm not sure. But yes, they're extremely effective, from what I've seen the chance of a corpse must be about 50%.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Maybe only on animals, I'm not sure. But yes, they're extremely effective, from what I've seen the chance of a corpse must be about 50%.
    Actually just got a giant slug corpse in this way. Unfortunately, I tried to eat it and realized I am still bloated from a potion of toughness T_T
    I need a shorter sig.

Cook and bless it. That should make it last enough for you to munch it as soon as you're able to, although you can sell it if you're really paranoid.

It seems ammo of hunting is pretty overpowered, I have to try that in my next game. If only there was a corpse granting =Fire
    "And light there be!"

Cook and bless it. That should make it last enough for you to munch it as soon as you're able to, although you can sell it if you're really paranoid.

It seems ammo of hunting is pretty overpowered, I have to try that in my next game. If only there was a corpse granting =Fire
    Don't have cooking... But I do have Black DSM (I always type out 'black' because I'm afraid someone would misinterpret it if I shortened it to BSDM) so that's some consolation.
    Last edited by nipon621; 10-16-2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Moved results to different thread
    I need a shorter sig.

Don't have cooking...
    Drop the corpse on the ground, then fire bolt or ball it until you see a message about the heat cooking it. At this point, more fire will destroy it instead. Success rate depends on B/U/C status - blessed corpses take more zaps to be affected. This works on every cookable food item except fish meat.

I think I am going to test the corpse drop rates using savegame scumming - maybe 10 events for blessed vs normal ammo of slaying against a corpse leaving target (intrinsic granting if I can find it). I'll let you know what my findings are.
    Looking forward to it!
    "And light there be!"

Drop the corpse on the ground, then fire bolt or ball it until you see a message about the heat cooking it. At this point, more fire will destroy it instead. Success rate depends on B/U/C status - blessed corpses take more zaps to be affected. This works on every cookable food item except fish meat.
    So thats why some stuff gets cooked immediately. My guy had like 2 charges in a wand of fire and 6 in a wand of fireballs, and thats it. I have already scummed this game so hard, that I have no shame left. I just kept the file where it dropped the corpse (I had spent many turns being invisible, strained while wearing many artifacts before I decided to test).

I'm despicable, I know.
    I need a shorter sig.