Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Monk 2H eternium sword vs barehand

Default Monk 2H eternium sword vs barehand

So, I found an eternium two handed sword +18 6d5 +18 in DF and I've been using it to terrifying effect (also found a GoGS so I can easily kick corrosive monsters to death - no weapon change for this guy!)

I'm concerned about long term damage potential. The PC is level 18 now and I'm wondering if switching over to bare handed in the near future would result in higher end game damage potential. I've sworn not to scum with this guy, and I'd rather not have to retreat from lower levels at some point to work on my bare handed weapon marks.
    I need a shorter sig.

Eternium can't be corroded anyway. With the sword you'll be fine in the endgame. You can't bless your hands, bless means +50% damage on demons and undead. All orb guardians are demons and so are balors, so that covers most important things.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Eternium can't be corroded anyway. With the sword you'll be fine in the endgame. You can't bless your hands, bless means +50% damage on demons and undead. All orb guardians are demons and so are balors, so that covers most important things.
    Good points. I wasn't aware it was immune to corrosion as well as rust. Quick follow up question: Does blessing whatever is in your glove slot add the bonus vs demons and undead? I'm guessing it doesn't because you stated that I can't bless my hands... but it probably should add the bonus.
    I need a shorter sig.

Blessing gloves doesn't affect anything.
    The only point of bare hands is reliability. Be it swordsmen, ratling warlords or heaven's wrath you know that you can't lose your main weapon.
    And a bit more DV btw.
    But on lvl18 eternium two-hander is way more dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterAsc View Post
    Blessing gloves doesn't affect anything.
    The only point of bare hands is reliability. Be it swordsmen, ratling warlords or heaven's wrath you know that you can't lose your main weapon.
    And a bit more DV btw.
    But on lvl18 eternium two-hander is way more dangerous.
    Can I assume you mean dangerous to my foes? Or is there yet another undocumented feature that could end up killing me (other than the DV/PV loss)?
    I need a shorter sig.

Quote Originally Posted by nipon621 View Post
    Can I assume you mean dangerous to my foes? Or is there yet another undocumented feature that could end up killing me (other than the DV/PV loss)?
    Dangerous to your foes. And as a monk, you don't need to worry nearly as much about the DV loss from wielding a 2H weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by nipon621 View Post
    Or is there yet another undocumented feature that could end up killing me (other than the DV/PV loss)?
    Overconfidence can easily kick in with tremendously powerful weapons such as your eternium 2HS. Just don't let that happen and you'll be fine.
    "And light there be!"

Will do - I'm underconfident to the core! I'd get a tattoo that says as much but I'm afraid that it wont look as good in a few years, lol.

One more quick question - I have yet to find a complete spoiler of possible item damage based on the material it is made out of (and smithable vs nonsmithable as well as whether scrolls of protection/defense will improve them). So, will mithril melt in the ToEF? I am assuming it is vulnerable to corrosion.
    I need a shorter sig.

Have a look at this: http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Item_destruction

Mithril is safe in the ToEF. Eternium is the only metal completely immune to corrosion, as from ochre jellies and gray oozes. Adamantium and mithril are less likely to be corroded, but still vulnerable. Rust affects iron only.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    Have a look at this: http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Item_destruction

Mithril is safe in the ToEF. Eternium is the only metal completely immune to corrosion, as from ochre jellies and gray oozes. Adamantium and mithril are less likely to be corroded, but still vulnerable. Rust affects iron only.
    Thanks Anon. I had seen that but I didn't feel that it was specific enough to go off of completely (higher metals may mean something other than what I think it means).
    I need a shorter sig.