Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Misc questions (class based item drops and creature pacification)

Default Misc questions (class based item drops and creature pacification)

Hey guys, I'm playing an archer (finally... wanted to for a while), and she's doing well but a couple of things have come up that I'd like some feedback on.

First of all, I spent 10 days in game scumming for a single fletchery set in the ID, and not a single one was generated. I almost trip over those things with other classes, and I was wondering if fletchery sets are somehow less likely to be generated for archers (ie; should I be aiming for getting a wish instead).

Secondly, there is a hostile ratling trader in the HMV and I dont want to kill him. He accepted a gift of 50 gold pieces but that didnt calm him down. Anybody know how to help them chill out without spells?

Thanks
    I need a shorter sig.

No, fletchery sets aren't less likely for archers than for anyone else. That's just ADOM being ADOM. Didn't you start with one? I have serious doubts that you're short enough on ammo to make a wish for fletchery sets even remotely worth it. If you spent that first fletchery set on logs, you have more arrowquarrels than you'll ever need.

I have no idea why you care about that random ratling trader, either. There's a lower than 50% chance he sells useful food. I think you can calm him down using a pet. It involves having the pet attack him and I think once it dies, the NPC will turn neutral to you. (I've never used this technique myself so I'm not sure if I remember it right. Also, good luck getting a weak enough pet without Music. Maybe you found a rat figurine of wondrous power or something?)
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Archers are also said to find more ammunition as loot also. I've played a few, and that seems to be true. And I'd just kill the ratling trader, you have the ones in the arena level.

I'm planning to submit a suggestion to the issue tracker regarding item rarity. You can find multiple tinderboxes and flint and steel while actual (mundane) torches are very rare, for example.
    "And light there be!"

I am aware of all of this, it was more for curiosity's sake. I dont know why I mentioned wishing either. The very first time I used a fletchery set, I got a stack of 70+ unerring arrows, and I've been trying to recapture that I guess. Not likely. Anyhow, I don't particularly care about the trader. I was just curious if there was a way to pacify them (dogs like bones, cats like meat or rat corpses, etc... there isnt cheese... so I have no idea what a ratling trader would like) or not.

And I am proud to announce that she was just precrowned with the bracers of war

First time I have even seen the artifact in game
    I need a shorter sig.

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    Archers are also said to find more ammunition as loot also. I've played a few, and that seems to be true. And I'd just kill the ratling trader, you have the ones in the arena level.

I'm planning to submit a suggestion to the issue tracker regarding item rarity. You can find multiple tinderboxes and flint and steel while actual (mundane) torches are very rare, for example.
    Please do submit an issue about item rarity... I nearly jumped out of my chair earlier when I saw a torch in a shop, lol
    I need a shorter sig.

> was wondering if fletchery sets are somehow less likely to be generated for archers

no, here is rarity of a few items:

> Secondly, there is a hostile ratling trader in the HMV

spend some time with it. let it hammer on you for a few dozen/hundred turns.
    sometimes you get lucky
    Last edited by gut; 10-14-2012 at 05:20 AM.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

New question - just felt a surge of power in the dwarven halls... its a weapon (according to detect item) guarded by either an ankheg or a stone golem... there's a karmic dragon of some variety hanging out around in the level. Advice?
    I need a shorter sig.

Quote Originally Posted by nipon621 View Post
    New question - just felt a surge of power in the dwarven halls... its a weapon (according to detect item) guarded by either an ankheg or a stone golem... there's a karmic dragon of some variety hanging out around in the level. Advice?
    Ankhegs and all karmic beings are vulnerable to death rays. None of those monsters can see invisible. Do take care, as an artifact guardian in the DH must be really beefed-up.
    "And light there be!"

I'm assuming the weapon is a light grey ( - that's probably not one of the really big ones. Ankhegs can take a big bite out of you if you don't have acid resistance, and if the ankheg is protecting the artifact, it's no joke.

I don't think that particular artifact is worth taking significant risks; it's probably not one of the big ones, and as an archer you're not quite as interested as others would be. (Close to best case is something like Wyrmlance; quite helpful against paralyzed ancient chaos wyrms. Unless Executor is light grey instead of dark grey like I seem to remember.) If you have good elemental resistances and an emergency teleport handy, you might want to take a look.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will hold off until I have some kind of toggleable invisibility and a wand of death rays.
    I need a shorter sig.