Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ideas for mindcrafter speedrun

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Kinslayer is nowhere near as good as Executor, isn't it?
    For everyday use or special circumstances? I dont like gaining any more xp than necessary, so dooming is a minus for me. Granted, I count its dooming intrinsic as a feature more than a balancing measure. Pretty much any way you cut it though, it seems like it would be hard to top executor with anything (other than an unerring boomerang of slaying or something like that)
    I need a shorter sig.

Quote Originally Posted by nipon621 View Post
    For everyday use or special circumstances? I dont like gaining any more xp than necessary, so dooming is a minus for me. Granted, I count its dooming intrinsic as a feature more than a balancing measure. Pretty much any way you cut it though, it seems like it would be hard to top executor with anything (other than an unerring boomerang of slaying or something like that)
    It's not dooming, just cursing.

And I would probably rate Kinslayer around the same as the other humanoid-only slayers, emerald dagger and Skullcrusher.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    your still going to be fighting the Wyrm in hand to hand combat with no real way of luring him out unless you also get lucky with wands. Wizards have the advantage in that you can blast frost bolt which both nukes elementals and damages the wyrm. Sounds like a pretty tough ask that early in the game with no healing.
    If you get invisibility from a pool it should be doable with the kind of stats mentioned (30 PV, 150 HP). But being a drakeling without some kind of healing will be tough.

I think you can kill the Wyrm with even a half-decent weapon like a blessed mace of destruction since you have unlimited confusion as a mindcrafter. If you can fight your way out of DFG, you do enough damage to take down a permanently confused Wyrm. I'm a bit worried about the other tower denizens, though.
    Last edited by prime; 10-17-2012 at 05:58 AM.

Executor is better than kinslayer for the tower because it slays demons as well as humanoids. The wyrm is a demon. However, I agree with prime: any decent weapon will do when you are a mindcrafter with speed 300. And the main problem is indeed healing. Immune to pain and first aid do help there. I saw Sami kill the wyrm with a no-item drakeling monk with only intrinsic fire resistance (no item means a challenge where you can't ever pick up an item except orbs). He was able to deal with the healing, without having fire immunity like I'd have. Granted, he didn't have time constraints and could retreat as often as needed.

By the way, if you're lucky enough to find a knife of endurance in DF that solves the healing problem. (As long as it doesn't melt of course.)

I already found wyrmlance in one of my attempts, by the way. Unfortunately that guy got himself killed while trying to get the shield -- I was trying to raid the place with a wand of trap creation and Kherab wasn't cooperating.

About the pools, after numerous disasters I'm starting to think that intrinsic invisibility is so good that it's better to stop when you get it, rather than continue in the hope to feel jumpy. At that point, the perma-invis toggle becomes a loss and I think the possible losses start to outweigh possible gains. Being pool doomed is a major problem with this idea.
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 10-17-2012 at 07:34 AM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Depending on what level you are (must be at least 9..), you may also have access to Telekinetic Blast, which is a good way to finish off the ACW (or soften him up, whichever you prefer). As long as you have maxed first aid, the tower is not a problem on drakelings with ItP + 2 sources of fire resist (or intrinsic) [and even with first aid in the 90s it isn't too bad].

I agree that intrinsic invis is so desirable, it probably outweighs teleportitis. Not only does it help you out immensely in some of the temples(*cough*ToEF*cough*Air*cough*), it also does save you a lot of turns on its own by cutting down the required fights you have to go through.

Also, you don't really have to worry about having a wand to stir the Wyrm--this has pretty much never been a problem for me; even when invisible, the drakes around him are somehow disturbed (without me doing anything!) and he comes out.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

I'll try pump first aid more on my next drake. Do you just apply it every time you get the message (so every other turn, basically?)

But I'm tempted to switch to a different race - the 300 speed doesn't help all that much if you're invisible, and I usually end up C after killing Guth so picking a chaotic race would let me keep some prayers without hoping for an altar.

Also, what are you guys doing for digging on the top level? I've only managed to drag the pyramid pickaxe up once without it burning up (died before I could dig in).

BTW, I think teleblast is level 15 but it's definitely an option too. It's affected by PV, though, so my arithmetic says you're better off just hitting the Wyrm with your weapon at that level.

edit: teleportitis is available from corruption anyways, especially considering you're using the SoRS, so I also stop sipping as soon as I get invis. Those pools are just as dangerous as anything else in DFG.
    Last edited by prime; 10-17-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by prime View Post
    I'll try pump first aid more on my next drake. Do you just apply it every time you get the message (so every other turn, basically?)
    Yes. it is not always every other turn, though, sometimes it skips two turns.

Reason I mention TB is because even while confused the ACW will get more attacks once he starts panicking (at least, in my experience), so it is much nicer to be on coward when that happens as his aimless staggering is basically BS.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)

It's not dooming, just cursing.
    From what i tried I believe it just curses itself o wielding. Does not curse/doom char.

Overall the idea sounds like lot of fun. Would try if... well, if was like playing ADOM.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

I think he was referring to Executor with the +Doom.

Also, what are you guys doing for digging on the top level? I've only managed to drag the pyramid pickaxe up once without it burning up (died before I could dig in).
    If you find a weapon good enough to kill golems, killing them is one option to deal with it. Once the golems are destroyed, dwarven chaos knights will start spawning randomly and they often drop wands of digging or pickaxes.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by nipon621 View Post
    Effects of dooming on xp are pretty minimal, FWIW. My doomed PCs normally hit the ToEF at about the same level as my undoomed ones. There are other good reasons not to be doomed, of course.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.