Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ideas for mindcrafter speedrun

Default ideas for mindcrafter speedrun

This is something I've been trying lately, with mixed succes but I think it could work..

Step 1: Roll a mindcrafter (candle and drakeling is probably best) that starts with a scroll of darkness.

Step 2: Go to Lawinothelethewhatchamacallit and milk any beggars for booze, killing hostiles with confusion blast + true berserk, if needed.
    Then use darkness to kill Barnabas. Thanks to gut for explaining me how it works. You need to read the scroll , zap an offensive wand at him, go true berserk until he panics (make sure he runs away from the door), close the door and then chase him, using the 'g'ive command to find him in the dark.
    Last I checked, this does curse you. edit: not true, see below

Step 3: Use mindcraft to kill Guth'Alak in Terinyo. Normally, if you kill him you will get a big alignment hit and the town goes hostile. But if you anger him with a confusion blast and finish him off with a mind blast, the town won't care and the alignment hit will be minor (if any). This is good, because you keep your piety this way.

Step 4: Hopefully by now you either have a wand of teleportation or the means to get it (scroll/wand of item detection or magic map). So next step is getting that wand.

Step 5: Rob Darkforge. Not just for weapons and armor, but also for the shield of raw steel and for the pools. As a mindcrafter, you have a big advantage when poolsipping, because you can't lose teleport control. The major goal in sipping is to get teleportitis, any other good things that happen are a bonus.

Step 6: If you're lucky with the robbing, you could now be looking at a character with 30 To, 30 PV, some 150 HP, controlled teleportation, =fire and executor. Ready to kill the golems and finish the pyramid and the tower straight away, all within the first 5k turns, before getting to dwarftown.

So far the theory. In practice, I didn't get it to work that well yet, best weapon I found so far was an adamantium sword of penetration but that guy got sick and doomed from pools, then got stiff muscles as his first corruption. But I thought I'd post the idea so anyone can comment or try it.
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 10-15-2012 at 10:50 PM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Perhaps kill the old barbarian too? Or the Mad Minstrel? Speed run with a mindcrafter seems like a lot of fun. Good luck!
    Proud member of Team Silfir in the Treasure Hunter debate.

Where do you stand to read the scroll of darkness?
    And my impression was that bolts and mindcraft from darkness/out of LOS don't cause cursing. If they do, maybe it's worth it to start with a chaotic race. Drakeling is good, but I don't think it's crucial to the strategy.

Killing the shopkeep will curse (and possibly doom--never bothered to check circumstances, this is just what I've heard) you if you are N (or L). So, it doesn't matter how you aggravate him, since the ultimate objective is to keeeeeel.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Quote Originally Posted by prime View Post
    Where do you stand to read the scroll of darkness?
    You read it at the spot marked X. The shopkeeper will panic and eventually (after you chase him) run back and forth between the three spots marked 1 2 3, while you need to stay at the spot marked @.
    Code:
    ######+##
    #.....12#
    #....X@3#
    #.......#
    #########
    And my impression was that bolts and mindcraft from darkness/out of LOS don't cause cursing.
    Yes, I know, it's not supposed to happen when you use bolts (mindcraft curses and summons thugs). I tested by drinking a potion of insight after.. but in a later run, I was not cursed. I will need to test this a few more times.

edit: I think I know what's going on now. If you kill Guth'Alak with another method, Terinyo gets angry and thugs are summoned. I think that is what cursed me in earlier attempts, not the Barnabas killing.
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 10-15-2012 at 10:49 PM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

So, I gather that a big part of speed runs are killing important PCs, lol

But banking on finding executor in darkforge?? That's crazy. I've played at least 30 PCs now (not many, I know) and not one of them has even seen executor.

I did some research with a save file outside of darkforge and out of 10 dives, none of them generated non-guaranteed artifact weapons or armor. Once I found wyrmlance, and once I found long sting, but that's the only random artifacts I have seen generated there.
    Last edited by nipon621; 10-16-2012 at 03:06 AM.
    I need a shorter sig.

Wyrmlance and Serpent's Bite are definitely my best [relatively uncommon, but not too terribly so] DFG finds. Executor is indeed quite the long shot..
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Quote Originally Posted by nipon621 View Post
    I did some research with a save file outside of darkforge and out of 10 dives, none of them generated non-guaranteed artifact weapons or armor. Once I found wyrmlance, and once I found long sting, but that's the only random artifacts I have seen generated there.
    With the new version the chances are slightly better to find a decent weapon, as its possible that long sting etc won't be in your artifact pool.

I recently found Kinslayer in Darkforge (didn't know what it was, but it was called a gray sword so i knew something was up). That is arguably better than Executer.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Step 6: If you're lucky with the robbing, you could now be looking at a character with 30 To, 30 PV, some 150 HP, controlled teleportation, =fire and executor. Ready to kill the golems and finish the pyramid and the tower straight away, all within the first 5k turns, before getting to dwarftown.
    your still going to be fighting the Wyrm in hand to hand combat with no real way of luring him out unless you also get lucky with wands. Wizards have the advantage in that you can blast frost bolt which both nukes elementals and damages the wyrm. Sounds like a pretty tough ask that early in the game with no healing.

Kinslayer is nowhere near as good as Executor, isn't it?
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.