Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pure brute-force challenge?

Default Pure brute-force challenge?

Not sure if some kind xyz-man challenge already has that (or if it is possible, might be unavoidable, not sure), but is it possible to finish ADOM without any use of magic/god interventions/herbs/potions/scrolls/rings/amulets...? Just pure hacking through the entire game? Not sure how to get around the ID problem (is the sword you just found magical? you shouldn't be able to use it if so... but no way to ID except maybe this single quest). Also if RotHK has to be worn (it is magical like all artifacts I would guess). If it can be just carried thn great, carrying artifacts for selling is fine, as no magic used (hard to define use, Si's only use is multiplying/selling so would be out of the challenge). Orbs also need to be Used(?) but for all must-do-in-order-to-finish there would be exception. Would blankets fall under magic? I guess. Music/taming with it is also non-brute, so bards should not apply. Possible? Already done? Thought might be interesting vs all kinds of magic abuses challenges usually call for in order to be completed(or completable if not yet done). Also not sure if healer class counts as brute(ish), but as herbs don't count this doesn't change much...

Does this include missiles? If so, it's very similar to "Real-life man" type challenges that forbid any items that you cannot find in the real world (eg. no weapons better than iron or wood, no magical gear of any kind).

Best bet is probably a monk or beastie. Also simplifies the equipment ID problem, though there are ways to ID gear without equipping (selling/rebuying from merchants), and to remove cursed stuff without scrolls.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Missiles should count as it thumps brute force, but yeah, archers are a definite best bet in that definition. Pure-hack then? Archers are OP anyway, so maybe make all kills mandatorily by immediate contact with you (through the blade/shaft whatever, no air inbetween), touch-that kills challenge? What options not including some god/aura/magic are there to remove curse btw? Praying/sacrificing is out, and all things from that realm... hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by szopin View Post
    Missiles should count as it thumps brute force, but yeah, archers are a definite best bet in that definition. Pure-hack then? Archers are OP anyway, so maybe make all kills mandatorily by immediate contact with you (through the blade/shaft whatever, no air inbetween), touch-that kills challenge? What options not including some god/aura/magic are there to remove curse btw? Praying/sacrificing is out, and all things from that realm... hmmm
    Weapons can be disarmed. If you ditch your gear, you can destroy lower-metal, wood, etc. items in an acid/fire trap. Or visit the ToEF with a minimal inventory. Rust monsters will happily eat any cursed iron gear you have on. If you remove all the gear you want to keep and chat with an eye of destruction for a few hundred turns, they'll eventually eat any cursed stuff you have on. This works for higher-metal or crystal stuff, which is pretty convenient. Most of these methods will destroy the cursed item, of course.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Neat list, thanks. Though it does bring the question - is cursed status something which should not happen in such challenge (except for NPC cursing on you, this you have no control over, but no equip-IDing, though would altar-dropping be a usage of the non-brute? Probably, so hard to define...). Was real-life man challenge completed? would be interested to see the report of win, was the player religious and accepted prayer as real-life effect, boots increasing stealth could be explained in RL (soft soles vs iron etc)... Then again after thinking about it, it might be actually very boring to accomplish (99percent grinding for enough HP for ToEF I would assume)

I don't know for certain that real-life man was completed, though I suspect it probably was. I don't know what specific rules were applied, though I don't expect it was probably as grindy as you might think. An archer can clear the ToEF with fairly minimal gear, for example.

Though these games did include some magical effects in other ways (notably prayers), I will note that it is possible, though very, very hard, to beat the game without picking up any items except the Chaos orbs.

Using monks and beasties for such challenges is kinda obvious and cheesy as it removes challenge, because monks and beasties need nearly nothing.
    I tried doing real-life man with Assassin.Almost got to ToeF iirc. Chose assassin because imo it fits - pretty real profession, nice class powers that look real.
    ToeF can be passed with red dragon scale, during discussion it was decided that such armor is something similar to fireproof suit.
    Other than that i don't know any easy way. Immune to Pain plus hundreds of spense may work.

First Aid at 100 will fix any problem with taking fire damage in tower.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterAsc View Post
    Immune to Pain plus hundreds of spense may work.
    Spenseweeds as all other magical herbs effects are forbidden, fresh minty feel in the throat would be allowed, but most adom herbs are a no-go (maybe antidote allowed, that is chemical effect not magical I guess). Yeah stat-raising would be limited to brute only too

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    I don't know for certain that real-life man was completed, though I suspect it probably was. I don't know what specific rules were applied, though I don't expect it was probably as grindy as you might think. An archer can clear the ToEF with fairly minimal gear, for example.

Though these games did include some magical effects in other ways (notably prayers), I will note that it is possible, though very, very hard, to beat the game without picking up any items except the Chaos orbs.
    Sure, but stashing of potions/scrolls/anyothermagicaleffectthings is allowed in here as long as you do not use those stashes. So while carrying limit is off (carry all you want) you can not use anything with magical effects (not even eating corpses for magical effects and once you get nasty corruptions it looks like game over, no Potions/scrolls of getting rid of the nasties can be used). Maybe unicorn can help (not sure if it doesn't require you to use magic, but as not-game-depending it will not be possible in case it involves handling magic in any way)

edit: oh wait, thought you meant 100s challenge, not picking up anything except Orbs? Did it use bards/music/magic? I would assume so, so no go