Thread: Hunting ammo test results

Default Hunting ammo test results

I tested the corpse drop rates using savegame scumming - 10 events for noncursed vs blessed ammo of hunting against a corpse leaving target (intrinsic granting if I can find it).

Findings: 10 trials of killing a giant slug with uncursed hunting ammo using the same level 18 archer (who did not posses the food preservation skill) at the same starting turn had the following results

3 corpses
    7 without a corpse

Same PC starting about 6 turns later (for blessing the ammo, lining up the shot) against the same slug with blessed ammo of hunting

6 corpses
    4 without a corpse

I briefly toyed with calculating the number required to reach statistical significance, but decided it's probably not worth the time. The fact of the matter is that the number of trials I did cannot even begin to give something resembling a statistically significant result. Since I don't have the time to calculate the required sample size to achieve... oh, I'd be content with a 60 per-cent power to detect, I'm going to round to the nearest fifty per-cent.

So my conclusion, is that it is probably a 50 per-cent drop chance with a slight possibility that blessed hunting ammo gives more corpse drops
    I need a shorter sig.

Quote Originally Posted by nipon621 View Post
    10 trials of killing a giant slug with uncursed hunting ammo using the same level 18 archer (who did not posses the food preservation skill) at the same starting turn had the following results

3 corpses
    This should be enough evidence ammo of hunting is pretty powerful

Thanks for the research!
    "And light there be!"

This is pretty remarkable. IIRC, giant slug corpse drop rate is ~2%.

You might want to do a control test anyway though... just in case corpse drop rates are somehow affect by the fact that you're save scumming.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    This is pretty remarkable. IIRC, giant slug corpse drop rate is ~2%.

You might want to do a control test anyway though... just in case corpse drop rates are somehow affect by the fact that you're save scumming.
    The last thing I want to be doing is re-rolling characters until I get similar ones, have them find slaying ammo, and then have them each find a giant slug at a similar number of turns into the game with all (really and truly all) other variables being equal.

Without some sort of supercomputer with custom coded state of the art character creation and botting software, making an actual, true control group would take at least a few months (if not years given the sheer number of variables), even for a sample size as small as 10 occurrences.

In short, I have no idea how to make a control group for comparison under "real world" (lol) circumstances without taking ridiculous pains.

Couldn't these results be at least partly confirmed by source diving? As much as I like to respect the wishes of TB, if this question is going to be definitively answered, it seems to be the most logical, authoritative and time effective option. On the other hand, I know next to nothing about coding, source code diving, or anything like it.

Sorry, but unless a better way of developing a control group is devised, I can't sign up to test one.
    I need a shorter sig.

Quote Originally Posted by nipon621 View Post
    The last thing I want to be doing is re-rolling characters until I get similar ones, have them find slaying ammo, and then have them each find a giant slug at a similar number of turns into the game with all (really and truly all) other variables being equal.

Without some sort of supercomputer with custom coded state of the art character creation and botting software, making an actual, true control group would take at least a few months (if not years given the sheer number of variables), even for a sample size as small as 10 occurrences.

In short, I have no idea how to make a control group for comparison under "real world" (lol) circumstances without taking ridiculous pains.

Couldn't these results be at least partly confirmed by source diving? As much as I like to respect the wishes of TB, if this question is going to be definitively answered, it seems to be the most logical, authoritative and time effective option. On the other hand, I know next to nothing about coding, source code diving, or anything like it.

Sorry, but unless a better way of developing a control group is devised, I can't sign up to test one.
    Simple way: Run the same experiment as you did previously, but use regular arrows.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I can confirm that this seems about right from experience. Soirana told me, he might know more about it. A fun way to start an archer is to get the heir gift and do the druid quest, getting =acid while at it.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

> just in case corpse drop rates are somehow affect by the fact that you're save scumming

I don't know of any drop rates being affected by save scumming... or anything for that matter.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

> I briefly toyed with calculating the number required to reach statistical significance, but decided it's probably not worth the time

for the kind of testing you are doing, you would prolly benefit very much from using adom-tas.
    it is a program written by tuplanolla for tool assisted speedruns, meaning it is an uber-savescum utility among other things.
    it works as effortlessly as a rewind button
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."