Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to Find a Large Snake?

Question Where to Find a Large Snake?

The ancient dwarf wants me to kill a large snake. Where is the best place to look for one?

big room i guess, or top lvls of CoC. I usually try to run through the D1-D10 straight to Dwarftown in order not to kill all those little beings *before* old man decides they deserve to =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    This is a gameplay challenge, not an exercise in tedium.

Based on experience, I have the firm intuition that the monsters assigned by Thrundarr tend to appear in the CoC level directly below DT, at least if you go there immediately.

In the majority of my games I find the monster in that level.

The bottom level of the druid dungeon has animals of all types.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Large snakes are DL5, and the Big Room is on level 6 or 7, so large snakes can be generated there.
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

Quote Originally Posted by littlebrather View Post
    big room i guess, or top lvls of CoC. I usually try to run through the D1-D10 straight to Dwarftown in order not to kill all those little beings *before* old man decides they deserve to =)
    Ever had him ask for a large gnoll right after clearing a gnoll vault?

The big room is a good place to hunt for these semi-rare monsters, if you're okay with the possibility of a spider factory or jackalwere being generated and keeping you busy for a long time (this is ADOM, so it will happen). Invisibility makes these easier, if you have it.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    Ever had him ask for a large gnoll right after clearing a gnoll vault?
    pretty sure) BTW tension rooms are always full of different monsters, and to manage one or two, even with cats, is much faster than wander other the Big Room killing those never-ending prays of jackals and gray jellies
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    This is a gameplay challenge, not an exercise in tedium.

Ever get assigned a mimic right after you check the shop and killed the mimic there? That's why I love ADOM: you only make mistakes like that once. It teaches you the hard way. But yeah, just go wonder around on the levels just below DT (if you see two staircases, turn back). And if you can't find one go wander around in the big room.
    Proud member of Team Silfir in the Treasure Hunter debate.

Tensions rooms are not always filled with different monsters; in fact I think homogeneous tension rooms are the norm.
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
    Tensions rooms are not always filled with different monsters; in fact I think homogeneous tension rooms are the norm.
    My experience: tension rooms come in two flavors, truly random (the usual kind) and thematic (e.g. room with hill giants, ettins and a frost giant; deserted shops).

And of course there's also threat rooms which contain many copies of the same exact monster, may not have a door, don't fill every tile in the room, and can be generated in cavernous levels despite the fact they aren't really rooms then.
    "And light there be!"