Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [SPOILY] new corruption effects

Default [SPOILY] new corruption effects

Click on Show spoiler to see a table of new corruptions, their listed effects and other observed effects. Observed effects are surely still incomplete, so please add if you find them out.

Suggested other effects, but not yet confirmed by anyone:
    Last edited by Sami; 07-28-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Some effects I am pretty sure about because they were proposed that way, although I did not test them:

Also, I think one of the above is a bad bug:
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

That one corruption giving inbuilt 7LBs? Now that's extremely powerful! Other than that, they all seem fine.

Acid immunity? That is somewhat extreme imo.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    Acid immunity? That is somewhat extreme imo.
    Why? You can go whole game without even seeing dangerous acid-breathing monster. There is rare situation indeed where acid immunity is even useful, and almost none where it is necessary (since black dragon-kind are vulnerable to darkness). It is nice to have in a pinch so you don't open a great black wyrm threat room and get annihilated (poor gut[?]), and it certainly has (or seems to have) no downsides, but it is not really anywhere close to overpowered or even most desirable new corruption.

edit: it is, however, essential to RPing an Alien, so mad style points for sure.
    Last edited by SirTheta; 10-27-2012 at 01:02 AM.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

The corruption that blocks spells is this one, AFAIK.

Your mouth has turned into a writhing mass of prehensile tentacles
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    The corruption that blocks spells is this one, AFAIK.
    That's what I think too, but couldn't get suitable character to verify it.

Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta View Post
    Why? You can go whole game without even seeing dangerous acid-breathing monster. There is rare situation indeed where acid immunity is even useful, and almost none where it is necessary (since black dragon-kind are vulnerable to darkness). It is nice to have in a pinch so you don't open a great black wyrm threat room and get annihilated (poor gut[?]), and it certainly has (or seems to have) no downsides, but it is not really anywhere close to overpowered or even most desirable new corruption.

edit: it is, however, essential to RPing an Alien, so mad style points for sure.
    Just compared to other corruptions it is quite insane. Take into account the fact that every (!) old corruption had a downside (at least Ap or Ch loss). Now we get immunity or see invisible, which are not nearly gamebreaking of course, but an icing on the cake for free. If acid immunity shows from corruption is true immunity, one can increase the chance to get =Fire at crowning, which is not game-breaking either, but good. The only good thing out of this if it really doesn't give negative effects is that someone can play challenge game to kill everyone by acid damage from their attacks, Thorny Man (har har) or something.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Immunities aren't that much better than resistances and acid resistance is maybe the easiest to get (ants, or even immunity from giant slugs). Also grobblewobble suggested that also that corruption has a downside. And also other stuff in the list is still to be discovered.

Come on, no intrinsic in ADOM is game-breaking all by itself, but immunities are awesome, they are among the most desirable intrinsics. And SeeI is not as good but it's definitely relevant, it can mean wearing your eternium plate mail instead of the AMW against the Cat Lord. I think these corruptions are *really* powerful.

I don't think this is necessarily bad though. There has always been a minority of beneficial corruptions with no or few downsides (breathing acid, thin and nimble) and the new corruptions follow the same pattern.