Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Random Creature Assigned my Thrundarr

Default Best Random Creature Assigned my Thrundarr

Ha! I just got assigned to kill a Dwarven Chaos Knight!

I got the easiest : a mimic.

Needless to say I hadn't explored the shop

Two weeks ago or so I got a staring eye, and the first monster that I saw after descending the stairs to the next level of the CoC was precisely that, a staring eye.

In fact I have the suspicion that the RNG biases monster generation in your favour for completing the quest. I very often find the requested monster in the CoC levels immediately below Dwarftown even if it's not a very common monster. Of course, this is very hard to measure so it may be just an impression...

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownSoldier View Post
    I got the easiest : a mimic.

Needless to say I hadn't explored the shop
    I once got that after I'd killed the mimic Ever since I've always talked to Thrundarr first.

Easiest I had was on a speedrun when I went past an orc beside the stairs, descended into dwarftown, and got the quest to find an orc. Completed in 5 turns
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    In fact I have the suspicion that the RNG biases monster generation in your favour for completing the quest. I very often find the requested monster in the CoC levels immediately below Dwarftown even if it's not a very common monster. Of course, this is very hard to measure so it may be just an impression...
    I have the same impression.

I'd agree with that - Stone Giants are hardly common (unless you go digging), and yet I found one within 100 turns of accepting Thrundarr's quest, on the next level below Dwarftown.

I find this very doubtful. Stone giants are pretty common, but they start appearing starting from danger levels at about just below Dwarftown. So it's natural that if one were to drop, it would be where you first started venturing in to.

Generally I think there is no use in programming any bias into the RNG, seeing as players themselves are quite prepared to perceive some whatever they do, in either direction

I've gone tens of thousands of turns looking for a goblin in the past, only ever finding rock throwers and slavemasters. Sometimes its easy, sometimes its insanely hard, and thats before taking into account whatever monster you get assigned. RNG bias? No.

I find that, unless his quest is for something incredibly simple (goblin/orc/STUPID CAT), I die looking for the enemy.
    Last edited by Sadface; 06-01-2009 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadface View Post
    I find that, unless his quest is for something incredibly simple (goblin/orc/STUPID CAT), I die looking for the enemy.
    Maybe you should reassess your objectives then :P
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!