Thread: background Training in 1.2.0 different?

Default background Training in 1.2.0 different?

Am I stupid, or has training skills in background (as opposed to at level gain) changed?

I have a memory that background training of skills in 1.1.1 did not alter the dice number.
    I just verified that in 1.2.0 p4, the dice # do change when using background training.

I was pushing my smithing skill up. Saw it was 1d3. Smithed like a mad fiend, got a few more points.
    Went back to the A screen, and saw the dice were down to 1.

So at this point, its going to be impossible to get my skill up to 100 using training.

Yes, I noticed skill related errors too, had 3d5 in Detect traps with Dwarf thief and got 1 point instead of minimum 3. Or am I an idiot.

The other day bought up to 4d5 in Climbing and Stealth, Climbed some mountains, never Pickpocketed. Kept on gaining 1 point in pickpocket, but fuck all in Climbing.

??
    Last edited by Stingray1; 11-13-2012 at 06:03 AM. Reason: typo
    Learn to learn.

I never researched this but i noticed some modifier were way too low, even at the beginning..is this some kind of bug or perhaps a new feature? It doesn't seem to make any sense..for the sake of logic, modifier should be pumped up if you also train by yourself.
    Last edited by ilsekko; 11-13-2012 at 03:36 PM.
    you can't wake up who's pretending to sleep

Random skill increases received throughout gameplay, as opposed to levelups, reduce your training dice every 10 points of the skill. It was already like that in 1.1.1.

I have my doubts about the merits of such a behavior, though. Either the reduction shouldn't happen, or the skill boosts should stay inline with your training dice (i.e. no more +1 to Pick Pockets when you can increase it by 3d3 if you gain a level).
    "And light there be!"

My latest win, an 1.2.0p4 gnomish monk, only pickpocketed in the early game (to get access to Yergius and so on), but he kept receiving points in Pick Pockets until the endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    Random skill increases received throughout gameplay, as opposed to levelups, reduce your training dice every 10 points of the skill. It was already like that in 1.1.1.

I have my doubts about the merits of such a behavior, though. Either the reduction shouldn't happen, or the skill boosts should stay inline with your training dice (i.e. no more +1 to Pick Pockets when you can increase it by 3d3 if you gain a level).
    or keep the modifiers still and never get in-game skillpoints, thus eliminating background training..absurd. It would totally suck. Never had such a thought with 1.1.1, it has to be just an impression..actually, i only noticed that with this gnomish wizard i'm playing in 1.2.0p3. Anyway i have to find some explanation for this, from a role playing standing point, and i can only think of this being a reminder that there's a limit in what you can learn without growing up.

(Ok, fortunately, several discussions have already dealt the weirdness of elves gaining four levels in one day after some 250 years of apprenticeship, which is a 'problem' standing way before the skill raising weirdness..no big deal anyway )
    Last edited by ilsekko; 11-13-2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: why there's ALWAYS has to be some error to correct?
    you can't wake up who's pretending to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by ilsekko View Post
    or keep the modifiers still and never get in-game skillpoints, thus eliminating background training..absurd. It would totally suck.
    Well, indeed. These "random" increases that (mostly) derive from using the particular skills make more sense than suddenly becoming more proficient at pickpocketing or an expert climber because you killed some monsters. The basic idea is fine.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    Hmm. Well, it does seem like something has changed.
    I have spent giant swaths of time forging 50 or so bits of ore into ingots, and forged (with success and failure) to improve items.
    There would be times when I got no smithing improvements, but got first aid improvements. Despite spending 10 training cycles or so on 100% time use of Smithing skill.
    I suspect there is some real difference in how skill training is implemented.

I suspect J.T. went on a refactoring binge, and changed some side effect somewhere.