Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gardening

Default Gardening

I was thinking about stat potential maximums, and herbs vs potions of stat, and I began to wonder how much we really know about training stats "naturally." I suspect the existence of herbs for raising dexterity, willpower and toughness has tended to discourage folks from finding other means of training those stats. On the other hand, it's been many years, folks are likely to have discovered almost everything by now.

Here's my question: Is it possible to use Gardening on a square that contains an herb bush? Does doing so destroy the bush (in much the same manner as picking it does) but yield herb seed(s) instead of herbs?

And if not, then in my limited experience, Gardening is virtually useless due to the unavailability of herb seeds. I'd very much like to be mistaken about that. Is there some other way to acquire herb seeds?

Quote Originally Posted by Pim View Post
    Here's my question: Is it possible to use Gardening on a square that contains an herb bush? Does doing so destroy the bush (in much the same manner as picking it does) but yield herb seed(s) instead of herbs?
    As of 1.2.0, you are told that "(t)here's already a herb bush growing here" and nothing else happens.

And if not, then in my limited experience, Gardening is virtually useless due to the unavailability of herb seeds. I'd very much like to be mistaken about that. Is there some other way to acquire herb seeds?
    Farmers start with some seeds in their inventory, and Munxip can restock with a few, but they're pretty rare (around the same as PoGAs from my experience) otherwise. The only attractive of Gardening I see is can turn any level into an herb-sustaining one, whereas 'U'sing holy water cannot, and it's a guaranteed skill. You can plant a single seed to do this, then create further bushes using the more abundant holy water.
    "And light there be!"

A strange thing is that items mundane in real world become rare in ADOM.
    I mean, could you image that holy water can be more common than herb seeds?
    I'm going to win with Dark Elves of all classes.
    Mindcrafter, Necromancer, Beastfighter, ULE Archer, UNE Barbarian done.

Depends on the herb! In any place that has a Catholic church, holy water is much easier and more legal to find than, say, pot.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

As in ADOM herbs grow in large fields around dungeons and an adventurer can easily have hundreds of them in backpack, lack of seeds looks very strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Spellweaver View Post
    A strange thing is that items mundane in real world become rare in ADOM.
    Well, yeah... it's a fantasy world. What is mundane for us is not mundane in Ancardia, and what is mundane in Ancardia is fantastic for us.

"Potions of water that don't explode when mixed?"
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Herb seeds are not normal thyme or rosemary - these are magical herbs that grow in dungeons and can have magical effects on your stats.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    "Potions of water that don't explode when mixed?"
    Yes, that's pretty funny indeed. The justification I've taken is that there's magic involved with mixing potions of water for alchemy, hence they explode when mixed but not when dipped.
    "And light there be!"

I think that water is electrolized, and then hydrogen explodes.