Thread: Panicked and cornered shopkeeper creates doors?

Default Panicked and cornered shopkeeper creates doors?

I recently panicked a shopkeeper and subsequently cornered him in this formation:

Code:
    ###..
    #.#@.
    ##+##
    ###.#
    #####

The tiles highlighted in red above were darked. I wasn't able to see the shopkeeper because of this, but he was able to generate doors in the square that I've marked with a '+'. That tile was the southwest corner of his shop--the shop entrance was some six or seven tiles directly above this area. Furthermore, the door once showed up as a dot ("."). He would create doors almost as fast as I kicked them down; occasionally, however, he wouldn't and I was able to move into the space previously occupied by a door. When this happened I was able to attack the shopkeeper for one turn. The next turn, the door would reappear and I would have to kick it down again before I could get at him. Does anybody have any input on this?

This happened on the server, so I was able to record a ttyrec of the event, which I have attached in the form of a .txt file (just remove the .txt extension and it should work...). It shows the sequence of events in which the shopkeeper generated door after door in the marked tile, while I smashed them just as fast and finally killed him.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Shoppies can create locked doors out of thin air when fleeing their shops in panic. Since you were chasing him into a dug corner, to me it would seem that a bug causes him to create doors wherever the shop's border is reached; normally, the only tile available for this would be the door you entered through. You might want to report this in the issue tracker.

PS: make sure you 'l'ook at the door next time.
    "And light there be!"

Actually, I did look at it. It said something along the lines of "Out killing thieves" or something like that. Just the standard locked shop door message.

Has anyone tried outright destroying the original shop door to see if it gets replaced? I think this behaviour might be intentional - and the fact that some shop walls can be destroyed is (still) the bug. I think we're supposed to assume the shopkeeper has a stash of spare doors just to deal with the aftermath of rampaging adventurers. (And all the monsters. Weird that they'd still make the door out of wood, all things considered. Might be merchant's guild policy.)
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Has anyone tried outright destroying the original shop door to see if it gets replaced? I think this behaviour might be intentional - and the fact that some shop walls can be destroyed is (still) the bug. I think we're supposed to assume the shopkeeper has a stash of spare doors just to deal with the aftermath of rampaging adventurers. (And all the monsters. Weird that they'd still make the door out of wood, all things considered. Might be merchant's guild policy.)
    I don't see why you shouldn't be able to destroy the walls. It's getting the stuff out without the shopkeeper noticing that's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Has anyone tried outright destroying the original shop door to see if it gets replaced?
    If you kick the door down, nothing happens. The shop continues to operate without a door.

If you crush it with a thrown huge rock or anvil, the shopkeeper doesn't replace it, however he reacts like a real-life one would.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by mike3 View Post
    I don't see why you shouldn't be able to destroy the walls. It's getting the stuff out without the shopkeeper noticing that's the problem.
    ... Well, that's for Thomas to say. You do agree there is a bug, at least?
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    If you crush it with a thrown huge rock or anvil, the shopkeeper doesn't replace it, however he reacts like a real-life one would.
    You mean the same reaction as if you had stolen something?

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    You mean the same reaction as if you had stolen something?
    Not exactly. I wasn't specific because I expected people to open ADOM and try it themselves. That way it's not completely a spoiler.
    "And light there be!"