Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Call for a Guidebook maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Soi, I have diligently been making copies of all your posts for years. If ever I see one missing, I will
    create 'Soirana Jr.' account and repost them all.
    You know there is such thing as internet archives, so you can ease back at manual copying quite a bit.
    Overall ain't first time I am deleting posts at some extent on some forums. Stuningly most time it is not about denying something but you know expressing attitude.... Well, since you, iirc, are like most religious of all, that will be a fair hint:
    Matthew 7:6.

In that light I should have done this ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    It's pretty cool that Sorrow is starting a new wiki without ads, isn't it?
    If that was not like 7 or 8th wiki I saw being created maybe. Personally I would say "cool" would be any of these adds-no adds/code-co code ever being finished. Best luck getting there although.
    Last edited by Soirana; 12-16-2012 at 03:13 PM.

So, Soirana insisted on continuing to delete text on the "Material based identify" page on the ancardia wiki, even after I wrote my own text so that nothing was left of Soirana's words... so I just made a new page about it. If Soirana tries to delete that one, well, it'll only prove that Soirana is a whinging child having a temper tantrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn View Post
    So, Soirana insisted on continuing to delete text on the "Material based identify" page on the ancardia wiki, even after I wrote my own text so that nothing was left of Soirana's words... so I just made a new page about it. If Soirana tries to delete that one, well, it'll only prove that Soirana is a whinging child having a temper tantrum.
    Wellcome, to the Pavel's Menchik's world

I thought you guys were just being sarcastic and the flamewar was imaginary. I don't see the reason to actually delete posts.

I don't know about the rest of the people, but in my case, I have my ideas about what would be the best way to do the wiki, but I respect the rest of the people's ideas. If someone wants to make a wiki that is full of ads, copyrighted and code-dived, that's fine (I'll probably not contribute if it's copyrighted, but I'll definitely respect it).

What's the reason for being destructive and actually deleting things? It's just information to help people play a game...

So, Soirana insisted on continuing to delete text on the "Material based identify" page on the ancardia wiki, even after I wrote my own text so that nothing was left of Soirana's words... so I just made a new page about it.
    Wikia keeps an edit history of all pages, so it's a soft delete at most. If you want to rebuild the article from scratch, guttbot in #adom can help.
    "And light there be!"

Why not move to a solution where mods have right to ban IPs (or blocks of IPs if Soirana has dynamic IP, ban even whole country allowing only registered users from it to edit, and if Sourgrapiana insists on proxies make all edits to need approve from moderator). Maybe sorrow's wiki can accomplish this?

While armchair discussion about 'patents' (can I patent special move in mario bros to kill all umpahs?) is somewhat entertaining, the fact is adom knowledgebase is becoming outdated fast. It is not about who owns what rights, but who can enforce them. If someone posted here or elsewhere 'to win close the gates', nobody else can mention this? Even when they found that out on their own? Good luck sending a legion of lawyers to defend that and take down your copyrighted discovery. I'd say copy whatever is still relevant and if you get cease and desist letters from actual lawyers - rewrite. ADOM facts are definitely not owned by players who found them and described first. Currently having too much fun of discovering new things on my own to bother with spoilers, but in a few weeks/months I'll definitely enjoy an up-to-date knowledgebase.

Oh, and btw this forum is publicly open, whoever feels their posts here belong to them only: go after google, they have all your words in their cache (and archive.org too, and bing, and...)

I was slow to understand what this was about, but I would like to say something in Soiranas defense. The wiki page on material based identify was the best part of the whole wiki and almost entirely his work. It wasn't just the best of the wiki, I'd say it was the most useful info on ADOM that has been newly written in the last years. And most of it probably won't become outdated any time soon, either. He deserves credits for it.

I don't know where this sudden protectiveness is coming from and I am afraid it is rather impractical of him to ask that all of us now suddenly keep that info private, after it has been out on the internet for a few years. I hope that a more satisfying solution can be found. But I will respect his wishes on this nonetheless.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    I was slow to understand what this was about, but I would like to say something in Soiranas defense. The wiki page on material based identify was the best part of the whole wiki and almost entirely his work. It wasn't just the best of the wiki, I'd say it was the most useful info on ADOM that has been newly written in the last years. And most of it probably won't become outdated any time soon, either. He deserves credits for it.

I don't know where this sudden protectiveness is coming from and I am afraid it is rather impractical of him to ask that all of us now suddenly keep that info private, after it has been out on the internet for a few years. I hope that a more satisfying solution can be found. But I will respect his wishes on this nonetheless.
    Great, used that page a few times, kudos is in fact well addressed, but making that info public on an open forum (or maybe he could get away with 1$ registering, hmm, probably not), if this is his-only-gained-knowledge-no-other-adom-player-had-any-chance-to-learn, go ahead. If this is a compilation of facts about compiled game (unless he had access to source and this is forbidden by TB) gained in a normal way, this is shared knowledge. I actually believe most of his copyrighted knowledge is on this forum, requiring from noone to pay for it, just googlefu. He put it in a certain way, patent that table then, facts inside are not anyones', but TB

I wasn't talking about any sort of legal rights. I know nothing about laws and would prefer to keep it that way.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.