Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Call for a Guidebook maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    To be fair, there are no laws against being a colossal dick.
    There are no laws about rolling around in your feces either but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    Anyone code-diving and spoiling others are dicks.
    So anyone who posts a spoiler is a dick? Even if they don't code-dive? So was the original GB-maker a dick? Is anyone who supports a GB project of any kind a dick?
    Last edited by mike3; 01-14-2013 at 04:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IGB View Post
    Hi Community,
    this is just to inform you I'm still alive Glad to see that Mr. Williams has finally given up his copyright bullshit. I guess now I can remove all references and links to his old, crappy GB from the IGB. What do you think?
    As for the wiki vs guidebook debate, IMO the guidebook style has its advantages, especially since there is generally more info on one page, and one can read it like a book. Though I like and watch the wiki development, it seriously lacks completness, and indeed, accurate code-dived info.
    As for the new ADOM development, I would like it documented too of course, but we lack competent code divers working on it. Until 1.2 version of the game is released to the public (and not just chosen few), the IGB will stay relative to 1.1.1.

The IGB: http://adomgb.sweb.cz
    @IGB:

1. copyright is necessary for artists to be able to feed their families, or at least it seems the most effective way we know of to make that possible. Though I'll say that the current laws go too far in some respects.

2. you don't think your harsh attacks on the GB -- without which your IGB would not exist -- are rude?! I find your posts about it quite abrasive. I don't approve of them. I'm not going to be rude back to you (two wrongs != a right), but I'm not going to condone your behavior either. Yes, the author has decided to make it "free" now (as in "freedom"), but it still seems a _moral_ error to try and claim it as your own even if there's no _copyright_ issue. And your treatment of him is quite disrespectful. I don't like that. He worked hard on that GB, and I value his GB very much.
    Last edited by mike3; 01-14-2013 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike3 View Post
    So anyone who posts a spoiler is a dick? Even if they don't code-dive? So was the original GB-maker a dick? Is anyone who supports a GB project of any kind a dick?
    Of course they are.
    Learn to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    Of course they are.
    Oh, come on. It's just people helping each other with the game. You don't have to read it if you don't want to. The guidebook warns you very clearly about containing spoilers.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I really can't tell if you're joking or not, but you do realize you have posted tons of spoilers yourself, right?
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Quote Originally Posted by IGB View Post
    _Ln_, thanks for early pointing out Darren's trolling.
    Classy, I liked it.
    Anyway guys, please stop feeding him.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by tootboot View Post
    There are no laws about rolling around in your feces either but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.
    I know. That was very much my point.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

"Old crappy" refers to the old GB, which very user unfriendly, clumsy to use, and stays so. That was the main reason I offered HTML advantages almost 10 years ago. That does not mean any disrespect for the original creator or the content. I hope that answers both Darren and mike3.
    And BTW, please don't feed the trolls, _Ln_ and Stingray1.

For the IGB, I'm going to mention in the introduction and on the access webpage, that it is indeed not original work, but remove all copyright notices throughout. Hope that is fine for everyone.

You should perhaps remove the notation on the contents page of areas changed from the original guidebook - it seems irrelevant now.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!