Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wishing help requested

Default Wishing help requested

This orcish barb got incredibly lucky : he found a wand of wishing somewhere before dwarftown. With 5 charges!
    I already used one to get an Aols and gave it to Kelly.
    I still got 5 wishes (IIRC wands of wishing can't be recharged)

If I wish for "concentration", will I be able to learn books and cast sufficiently well ?
    I don't have many PP, will this improve ? will concentration give me more PP ?

I'm also considering a ring of weakness, as I haven't done the ogre tribe quest yet, but in that case, should I wish for food preservation ?

I'd like to use them quickly because I do not know how sturdy is a wand of wishing. I do not wand to lose it to a random trap.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

I always have that problem with too many wishes. There really isn't enough stuff to wish for that is all that useful. It's still a pretty amazing power. Congrats. I would say, wait until you hear a fair number of opinions. You can always put the wand in the barbarians glade and then leave immediately. If you do, no time passes and the barbarian can't pick it up. No chance of losing it.

Wands of wishing are indestructable. Well, except for through divine wrath somehow.....

Concentration won't be much use to a barbarian - you'll still have trouble reading books. Find Weakness might be worth wishing for though, unless you have vanquisher already. If after a bit of exta strength then a girdle of giant strength can certainly make a difference - less troublesome than a ring of weakness, with less risks and immediate effects. Have to be careful with it obviously - very prone to getting destroyed. Eternium gear can be worth wishing for if you're lacking in certain areas, and bracers of resistance can be nice to have (and worth smithing up too). If you have no good weapons yet then you may wish to consider eternium two-handed swords - not something I'd personally go for though, since you'll likely get something good from DarkForge or crowning. As an orc you might also want to consider potions of longevity, or holding onto the wand for a wish on potions of youth if you find aging a problem later.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

You'd probably want to find a place to store the wand ASAP. I'd wish for a ring of weakness if I hade four good wishes to go.
    Suddenly a stream of acid pours down from the ceiling! The cute dog is horribly mutilated by the acidic fluids! The cute dog dies!

As he is orc he already has 'Find Weakness'. I agree with you on 'Concentration' as the Barbarian has that nast class penalty. About the Vanquisher part - does it really render 'Find Weakness' obsolete? I seem to remember reading some research the newsgroup had done with slaying weapons which showed that slaying properties does not equal auto-criticals.
    Suddenly a stream of acid pours down from the ceiling! The cute dog is horribly mutilated by the acidic fluids! The cute dog dies!

It might be nice to wish for alchemy, as you have many spare wishes. You know, not necessary at all, but might come handy in the future. That and pairs of seven league boots, always useful if you really want to use the wishes and don't know what to wish for. And obviously, everything that has been previously suggested.

Do you have the means to get to the top of the ToEF and defeat the ACW?

On my one win with wishes, I ended up basically *having* to wish for:
    1. Fireproof blankets
    2. Potions of Youth (I got badly aged at one point - the wish got me about 45 years back after blessing the potions - that's approximate, don't remember the precise number)

I also got:
    3. Cloaks of invisibility (invis is very nice if you've got backstabbing and find weakness and in general makes you much safer. Rings might be better, I picked cloaks since I had good rings and a crappy cloak)

And don't forget, if you get in trouble with corruption, scrolls of chaos resistance.

I'd definitely save a few wishes for emergencies (youth, chaos resistance) instead of spending them all now.

rings of ice > fireproof blankets (imo) if you are going to spend a wish on them. Even if you have a fireproof blanket, rings of ice might still be worth of a wish.

Having to wish for fireproof blankets or potions of youth isn't that strange. But 2 times I have had to wish for a red worm, it's your task to find out why...

Seven league bootss (yes, with extra s to get multiple) if you don't have a pair yet.
    Girdle of giant strength also a good wish, as they are quite rare.
    Potions/scrolls of education (I don't know which are better) - if you're feeling lucky. Instead of one wished-for skill there is chance to gain a few. Including Alertness which is impossible to gain otherwise. On the other hand you might just get an increase of an existing skill, or totally crap ones. In my last game I found 2 potions and got Appraising and Necromancy.
    Archery - it makes ranged attacks easier, which in turn make the game easier.
    Rings of slaying if you want to improve damage output quickly. But they are not uncommon later in the game.

I'd spend a luxury wish on alchemy since you can afford to gamble and you have a lot of time to max it out.
    ________
    Ford Wiki Specifications
    Last edited by sterjs; 02-24-2011 at 09:55 PM.