Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wishing help requested

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    I'm sure it protects backpack.
    With ring of ice, no other worn items, no fireproof blankets in backpack: I lost only 2 items (cloak of defense and box with flint and steel) in 200 turns.

No worn items, no fireproof blankets in backpack: I lost 5 items in 5 turns (cloak of adornment, rusty ring of elemental mastery, cloak of defense, hooded cloak and neclace of the silver tongue).

I think it's pretty clear result.
    Ye, that shows that a RoIce is useful 99% of the time. But as it fails 1%, that means you'd lose an item every 100 turns, and you can spend quite a lot of time in the ToeF if you don't have any spells. I'd rather use blankets, that can't fail and don't have that extremely annoying message, and use ring of ice AND blanket for the ACW fight in case I want to use a bow for example. Anyway, in my last games I never used a ring of ice, nor did I need it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    And a shitload of other items depending on your inventory size and composition. Do the math: if both of your protective items fail, what is there to protect your equipment? A luck roll? Hah. Ok, so maybe you won't lose anything, but maybe you were carrying 6 SoCRs, thinking you were safe... and maybe, just maybe, you were proven wrong... And even afterwards, RoI can fail. Blankets may burn, but otherwise, they do not fail at all.
    The tower doesn't take so long that this should ever be a problem. One blessed blanket is more than enough to protect your inventory (as long as you have either fate smiles or doom on...); I've never had both a ring of ice and a blanket simultaneously fail, and usually never go out of my way to get a ring of ice unless I'm absoluletely dependent on missile weapons to survive basically every encounter. For most other purposes, the blanket is sufficient, but not usually necessary if you're quick and clever.

As for bringing 6 SoCR into the tower, well, I'd say carrying 6 SoCR around under almost any circumstances is pretty stupid. Unless they're spares that I want for the final dive, mine are sitting in the Ogre Cave or the Barbarian glade.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Fireproof blankets can burn away... Almost every time I lose at least one (blessed) fireproof blanket in ToEF and my worst was 4 lost fireproof blankets (without curse/doom) before even getting to the temple.

I also just tried how fast fireproof blankets are lost. Used one wish for fireproof blankets (got 3) and blessed them all. Every blanket took about 900 turns to burn away (all three were down in exactly 2762 turns).

Any thoughts on taking the tower without blankets or rings of ice? It would seem that this task would be uber hard because you would have to rely only on artifacts and higher metals. You couldn't use slaying ammo because it would burn up and you couldn't use potions of blindness/cursed invisibility as they would burn up. Sadly my blanket got burned up on the first level of the tower. I'm pretty beefy right now, but that energy bolt is going to do some damage.

Be a drakeling wizard Otherwise fairly hard - would need an excellent melee weapon, and plenty of piety for healing.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Usually the best idea is to clear the first 3 levels with minimum gear. Teleport up to the 4th level with your pickaxe/wand of digging to open the temple, and pull with a wand of far slaying as normal. Use the water orb for healing. If you aren't a caster, you will probably have to kill the AKW in melee unless you've got the rune-covered trident or something similar. If you're a caster... well, basically do the same things you would do anyway. It seems plausible that you could teleport in with a bunch of potions or a wand of stunning or something, leave them on the stairs of the third level, then pull the AKW close to the stairs to try to minimize the damage to your gear by rapid ascent/descent.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Well, just tested an idea. Works even better than I thought. You can get Hawkslayer to pick up anything you need for the ACW and then take him into the tower. His PV is high enough to protect him from background damage, and monster inventories are protected from the tower. You could just kill him before you fight the wyrm and pick up your arrows, etc.

I've made it all the way to the top of the tower and into the temple I'm killing the elementals one at a time. The get the occasional critical on me, but don't hit in general. I'm a bit concerned about the fire demon's, but I figure they should go down pretty easily. What do people think about hammer of the gods for the melee weapon for the Wyrm?

RoI and Blankets are really overrated for the Tower. Just don't spend 1000s of turns there, plan ahead, do a naked scouting expedition, accept the loss of some large rations and maybe some bows and arrows if thats the way you roll, and remember to take the Water Orb and the Elemental Gauntlets with you.

At this stage in the game a bit of corruption for healing is an acceptable trade off, with the huge advantage that you can save your pots of ultra and extra healing for D50.

Thanks for all the advice, but this char is dead due to my phenomenal stupidity.

Wished for food preservation and rings of weakness

I did the ogre case, got only two corpses out of it. Didn't know that Food preservation has to be at 60 to be efficient.
    Did a little bit of Id1 whith a ring of weakness on
    Finished the dwarven quest, the pyramid and griffyard.
    Did the sherif quest to get the amulet of order.

Now I'm waiting to get to L+ so I'm going to the levels between dwarftown and the forest to finish exploring them.

Find a tasty room full of fomorian giant.

Kill a few, got some corpses, decide to put a ring of weakness on before eating them and died crushed under all the crap I'm wearing because my strength of 30 won't let me be burdened...

YASerD