Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When and how did you start playing ADOM ?

Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta View Post
    I found the Guidebook shortly after, which I kind of regret to this day;
    Tell me more. Which is why I love the new development, all you spoiled yourself in AGB is gone, new races, new classes, new everything. I forgot this board for a while, once I get bored it will be back for spoilers, currently, no way. Looooove it

Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta
    Despite playing very much on and off since then (once you go ADOM you'll never go back), I've come a fair ways. Odd, and frustrating, how the ADOM bug always bites during finals, though.
    so true... yet most YAVPs come from this period...

Well, I just think I would have had a lot more fun discovering at least a few things on my own…something magical about that. While it is fun discovering new things about races and such, I think it isn't the same as discovering game mechanics.

As for my YAVPs…yeah, I returned again recently (August, and then another break), and started absolutely tearing through new characters…at one point, despite me still being a little rusty, I had well over an average of one win a week. I'm still mystified how a two-year victory break (I'd come back winter 2011, but didn't win another char) made me such a better player…but such is ADOM! (some YAVPs not posted, but I've got 9 in about three months at this point [see sig, includes OCG], including a little break! That's crazy, to me!)
    Last edited by SirTheta; 12-29-2012 at 04:21 AM.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

I got my very own first computer in 1996 (I was twenty three or so at the time), a friend had made it for me from spare/leftover parts from building his own. Along with Windows 3.1 he'd installed some games on it for me, and patiently showed me how to navigate the menus to find everything. One of the games that he'd installed was nethack, a game that my housemate, girlfriend and I all enjoyed, all of us being dorky gamer types Well, a few weeks later my housemate got bored with nethack, and tried to find similar games, one of which was Adom. He downloaded it onto both his and my computers, and we spent the next year or so when we weren't working or table top gaming sitting on opposite ends of a table, both playing Adom and trading advice back and forth. I've been in love with the game ever since, and whenever I get a new computer Adom is one of the very first things I download, usually the second these days, right after I dl Firefox. I don't have many terrible learning curve stories though, between having played nethack and having an Adom playing housemate (and girlfriend) with whom to pool information, the start of my Adom tenure was pretty mild!

Well, I just think I would have had a lot more fun discovering at least a few things on my own…something magical about that. While it is fun discovering new things about races and such, I think it isn't the same as discovering game mechanics.
    Not all had the chance to play gamma 1.
    As for my YAVPs…yeah, I returned again recently (August, and then another break), and started absolutely tearing through new characters…at one point, despite me still being a little rusty, I had well over an average of one win a week. I'm still mystified how a two-year victory break (I'd come back winter 2011, but didn't win another char) made me such a better player…but such is ADOM! (some YAVPs not posted, but I've got 9 in about three months at this point [see sig, includes OCG], including a little break! That's crazy, to me!)
    Win with Chaos Knight, Ratling thief (is that the default?), two-year victories are shit compared to this achievement. You can be even better player...

Well, sure, but you don't have to play gamma 1 to discover the game mechanics for yourself.

Also, don't get me wrong, I don't think I'm actually good the way people like grobble are good (to mention one well known forum denizen), much less people like gut or above, who I am literally light-years away from. My definition of good is purely on my scale, on which I rate pretty highly (I have won with one new race, mist elf. Lots of fun, mist elves. I'm thinking of trying ME CK soon, for sure, but CK/ratling don't appeal to me too much. Ratlings, with their very high To, are going to be pretty easy, despite their mediocre skill set. CK is ridiculously easy as long as you don't get stuck with a really terrible starting corruption set, but if you do you'll be starting over again pretty soon anyway [from dying, not quitting]. [I know I'm going to catch flak for this, but it's definitely true on any reasonably easy race, so I can't believe they are that challenging on not-so-easy races, compared to other classes] Mist elf melee classes are the real new attraction for me, lots of fun. Trying to win dumb RCs like GE Thief [or any thief] are just kind of boring…there are much more fun restrictions one can play with, if you so choose)
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

I forgot to add that I did stop playing for about 3 weeks when I couldn't get to D:50 because of ice. Then it suddenly came to me.
    Learn to learn.

I was introduced to the game by my sister, who in turn found about it in Mikrobitti, a Finnish computer magazine. That might've been around 2004-2005. Although I was fascinated by the ASCII representation and the cool-looking exotic areas I caught glimpses of her playing in ("There's a trap-filled, yellow-walled pyramid that you can only access later in the game, and a blue underwater dungeon with mighty sea creatures!?"), I didn't start playing seriously until summer 2006. My first victory came almost exactly a year later, with a human wizard.
    Last edited by Laukku; 12-29-2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: typo
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

Hi guys!
    I found the game around 1998 on Aminet. I had an Amiga 1200 with a 80MB hard disk at the time, and it would take ages to load/save the game (in an advanced stage). I kept looking at those dots (Loading.......) continuously because I was doing a lot of save-scumming. Firing missiles was also dead slow on my 14MHz computer, so I never cared to play archers back then
    I (thought I had) found most of the secrets on my own, because there was no guidebook or spoily boards back then. Or were there? I was browsing the web with a Lynx browser over a BBS network, so i didn't really have a chance to surf around besides the Aminet directory.
    I closed the gate only thanks to massive save-scumming. But I kept trying, going periodically back to the game in the last 14 years.
    Eventually I found out about the guidebook and the existence of ultra endings. But I never bothered going for one. Now I don't do save-scum anymore (nor other game-breaking scums), and I've gotten much better at playing.
    But I keep dying stupid stupid deaths because I get tired and I am not good at knowing when it's time to save the game and start doing something else. I think I never got to the mana temple without save-scumming.
    Spellcasters tend to die crushed by tons of stuff. Other ways my characters tend to choose to die are getting beaten up by doppelganger kings (which are at first sight mistaken for caveman, outlaws and the like) or petrified by gorgons in tension rooms.

I recently learned about the Sage frontend, and I think most of the improvement there could stop this senseless slaughter of our poor characters. Like colored messages that highlight what is really important (your great strength is waning) and removing flood messages that hide important stuff (like "you resist the searing flames" hiding the message that tells the fireproof blanket is destroyed).

On this subject, I think we should file a RFE for every single important feature we like in Sage, else TB will disregard the generic request to "implement all Sage's features". What do you think?
    And what about a confirmation message when sacrificing a crowning gift (not deadly, albeit potentially so)?
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by szopin View Post
    Older in ADOM doesn't mean older in RL. I met ADOM last year. Probably oldest/older than most of you HC players. Doesn't matter, for what it's worth, I still enjoy random RLs.
    If he was 13 in 2001, then I am indeed about 2 years older than Silfir. I was born in 1986, making me about 15 in 2001.
    Proud member of Team Silfir in the Treasure Hunter debate.