Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The early-midgame stall

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    I know there is some question where he says to ask about quests, but couldn't get it.
    Try saying hello.
    "And light there be!"

Go ID diving... oh wait, not only is it going to be -30% floor drops less, you will also hit the higher chaos background corruption level, well that fixed everything (http://www.adom.de/forums/project.ph...age=2#note8779 fixes everything except the underlying condition like here, need more loot, no, fix is less loot to fix a bug that everybody uses for more loot. Genius!)

My usual progression through the early game is, do the Bandit Lord quest for the gold, do the Village Carpenter, dive the UD, then go back around and do the Tiny Girl quest. You're usually levelled enough to do the Pyramid by that point - if you're not, a quick interlude in the ID or the early levels of the CoC should get you there. From that point, you should be plenty geared and powerful enough to go through the Forest (or RUNNING through the DH, which is a much quicker but potentially much more dangerous way).

Of course, if you're playing a difficult class, you might not be able to do the Bandit Lord quest at level 1-3. The ID is a low-risk place to gain levels early if that's what you're after.
    Last edited by magpie; 12-29-2012 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by szopin View Post
    Go ID diving... oh wait, not only is it going to be -30% floor drops less, you will also hit the higher chaos background corruption level, well that fixed everything (http://www.adom.de/forums/project.ph...age=2#note8779 fixes everything except the underlying condition like here, need more loot, no, fix is less loot to fix a bug that everybody uses for more loot. Genius!)
    ADOM is a RPG. No PC in his right mind is going to walk up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down.
    Learn to learn.

You can still dive the I.D. without hopping up and down the stairs!

the first time I ever made it to Dwarftown, the very first thing I said to Thrundarr was "quest".

I had never read the guidebook or forums at this point, and was totally unspoiled...

I don't know whether its cause my first videogame was bard's tale, or just because I've played videogames in general, but the very first time I got an input prompt in ADOM, my immediate response was to type quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    No PC in his right mind is going to walk up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down up and down up and down up and up and down and down up and down up and up and down.
    You're wrong, people totally do that!

You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Another thing you could try at this point in the game is checking out the levels just below Dwarftown, if you haven't done so yet. I usually find a lesser vault there.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by mike3 View Post
    You can still dive the I.D. without hopping up and down the stairs!
    That sounds like normal behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    You're wrong, people totally do that!
    The PC isn't a people. The PC is a robot, but not stupid. Although, a counter argument might be, that a PC noticing that if he/she does go up and down continuously he/she can profit. Whatever, bring stairhopping back, each player will play the way they feel fit.

edit - I was dancing in my chair, thx grobblewobble.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 12-29-2012 at 09:07 AM.
    Learn to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoobnahr View Post
    the first time I ever made it to Dwarftown, the very first thing I said to Thrundarr was "quest".

I had never read the guidebook or forums at this point, and was totally unspoiled...

I don't know whether its cause my first videogame was bard's tale, or just because I've played videogames in general, but the very first time I got an input prompt in ADOM, my immediate response was to type quest.
    Yeah, same here... not the first in my case, but maybe the third or so.

In ancient RPG's from the 80's-90's, there were a set of default things you usually could ask about: "name", "health", "job", "quest", "join". These were standard in the early Ultimas, but many other RPG's from that time (I don't remember exactly which, sorry) would accept some or all of them. So when I met Thrundarr, I asked him all that, apart from other things that stemmed from the conversation.