Thread: What is everyone hoping for now that the ADOM lite RPG is coming soon?

Default What is everyone hoping for now that the ADOM lite RPG is coming soon?

Hi I was wondering what everyone was looking forward to now that the ADOM lite RPG is coming along thanks to the indiegogo campaign, I'm hoping that it will be rather difficult (I guess difficulty largely depends on the cruelty of your dungeon master) and none of this raise dead crap one of the key factors of a roguelike is you die then you are dead! To facilitate this character creation would have to be pretty quick so you can just restart over and over. What I'm saying is I'm hoping for adventures that are fast and bloody.

The only RPGs I've played are GURPS, NWOD and DnD 3.5 so I maybe don't really know much about them.

What was everyone else hoping for?

Like you say, quick and fun chracter creation. And a way to make random dungeons / maps that's also fun and not just random and weird. I hope the focus is more on making an adom-like adventure, on story and atmosphere and less on complicated mechanics. It seems a real challenge to me though, to come up with simple yet interesting mechanics. So I'm very curious about Thomas' approach there.

i have played quite a bit of DnD 3.0-4.0 and i always felt like something was missing. i hated the equipment setup and selection and its effects. I have to say after i played adom i was impressed. lots of equipment customization, and wouldnt you know, weapon skills. that was several years ago, and i'm still addicted. Given this is much much easier to keep track of on a computer, the DM could level it up after fighting a tough monster or rolling several crits/high rolls (would be discretionary, which i also like a lot). i also like the armor system in adom. separating the armor into DV/PV is much prefered, everytime i play DnD i just wish it would take on all of the cool aspects of adom. im really excited to break this game out and show it off. i hope i can use it to get people i know into adom.

I have played 4e for some time now in DnD, and the biggest downside is that the planning takes so long the DM can get frustrated, so my advice for an ADOM table game would be for a focus random generation.
    Whenever you find an item you roll a d10* + a modifier (treasure hunter skill ex.) to determine what it is, then another roll to determine if it has any properties.
    You could also do this upon creating a dungeon, roll for each room to determine its special features / traps.
    Was this planned to be for a group setting or individual play? I could see having a system of random generation being real fun to DM, as I wouldn’t know what monsters to use on players till they are randomly generated.