Thread: 1.2.0p5 FreeBSD question re: savefiles

Default 1.2.0p5 FreeBSD question re: savefiles

I had the earlier public pre-release downloaded, with a few characters made. I just deleted the old p3 installation directory, and created one for p5. I then tried to create a character using one of my standard names, and ADOM told me that name was in use. However, the list of saved games does not include any of the characters I made before (version check, I assume), there doesn't appear to be a way to delete the savefiles in-game, and I can't find any information on where these are now stored.

Does anyone know where these are stored, so I can delete the earlier savefiles?

the savefiles in windows xp is in documents and settings/yourusername/Local Settings/Application Data/ADOM/adom_dat/savedg
    Learn to learn.

Well, FreeBSD layout is nothing like Windows, it is basically UNIX-like though...do you have a /home/<user> directory? The documentation is a bit confusing, but I that's probably because I haven't used FreeBSD. If you have a /home/<user> dir, it is likely in /home/<user>/.adom.data. I'm not sure how ADOM determines the home directory--you could check the contents of the variable $HOME, perhaps; it could be in $HOME/.adom.data. savedg is the dir under .adom.data that contains your savefiles.

Of course, the directory name may be slightly different under FreeBSD..should contain 'adom', though.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

A character (save game) name of that name probably already exists. p5 is doing the smart thing by not crashing on it like previous prereleases, but it won't load saves from other prereleases either. Delete them from ~/.adom.data/savedg/.
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
    A character (save game) name of that name probably already exists. p5 is doing the smart thing by not crashing on it like previous prereleases, but it won't load saves from other prereleases either. Delete them from ~/.adom.data/savedg/.
    If ~ is /home/user I totally feel you. Best part about latest versions they don't crash with saves from older versions. Try them

That did the trick - thanks, all!