Thread: Starved to death while using holy symbol to gain piety after reading IBM guild manual

Default Starved to death while using holy symbol to gain piety after reading IBM guild manual

edit: guess I should mention this was a dwarf duelist.

Man, this game was a doozy. Especially Thrundarr's second quest. I checked out DH:1 and saw a black unicorn about two spaces away, so I got the hell out of there. I managed the first trip through the animated forest fine, but on the way back, I was surrounded completely by hostile trees pretty early (like 1/15-1/10 of the horizontal distance) [I actually wonder if this was an unintended change. I've never been surrounded by nine (five, yes [wall on one side]) hostile trees before]. I had to heroically fight my way back to the down stairs, praying about 3 times, and was forced to go the DH route. DH:2 had nothing, but I had a lot of trouble getting around the black unicorn in DH:1, mostly it wasn't too close, though I did have to pray one time when I got between it and two monsters. One the way to the upstairs, I took a wrong turn and had to fight my way past a shadow troll, on my right, while fighting a floating eye on my left that was blocking the black unicorn, along with a cat and another floating eye. As I got to the upstairs room, I found like 6-10 chaos spawns and just groaned out loud. I managed to get to the upstairs after picking up just one corruption (babbling mouth) and using just one more prayer (after which the ground rumbled). Breathing a sigh of relief, I headed back to DT, sacced a couple thousand gold to get back to pleased and went off to clear ogre cave and then the arena.

In the arena, I got a cat. After about 8 charges of a wand of trap creation later (somehow managing to get only 2 corruptions traps, 2 water traps, a snake pit trap, a fireball trap and two pits). After considering I probably could not take on a WMOPC [even one w/ low hit dice] (slowing attack would get me for sure if one hit connected), I decided to dip my identify scrolls in holy water and see what else in my inventory could be of use. After somehow pressing 'D' instead of..'G'? 'H'? (doesn't matter, I guess, just know it was really really wrong), I read...an IBM guild manual. I tried praying, but of course I hadn't noticed my HP wasn't full, and after all my other prayers, this used up all my piety.

But wait, I had a holy symbol, I thought, I'll just use this on coward until I have enough piety. After being bored quite quickly, I decided to start pasting in lots of use commands. Unfortunately, after being even more frustrated at how long this was taking, I decided to paste in a truly monster command (probably like 500) without considering I was burdened and had been below Satiated for quite some time. All I could do was watch helplessly as my status quickly changed to Hungry, then Overburdened, then Hungry! then Starving! and--finally--a merciful death.

and now I know how grah feels
    Last edited by SirTheta; 01-17-2013 at 09:33 PM.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

I killed my archamage like this once, similarly looping commands.
    I was at around 3k HP and 4k PP and decided to bookcast wish one too many times. -700 HP.
    After spending hell knows how long on grinding my way there, I lost the char to such a stupid mistake.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I wondered when something like this would get posted... read an IBM GM and not have enough piety to pray to remove the confusion. I've heard the IBM GM was supposed to be a kind of joke by TB. This goes to show: it's no joke, at least not from the player's point of view (even if TB intended it to be one). Don't take it lightly. Don't be fooled.
    Last edited by mike3; 01-19-2013 at 12:31 AM.

I was running from the Village Carpenter, two sheilds, set to coward... and I starved to death.