Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow! Time to start generating death dumps again!

Default Wow! Time to start generating death dumps again!

I was having a text conversation with an old friend yesterday. Coincidently, this is the same friend who back in 1997 handed me a 3.5" floppy diskette with a file on it called ADOM (I had 56k modem at this point but I doubt I would have found this game myself). I was talking about liquid dancing and he randomly mentions that he had played ADOM again and as expected, his characters died.

This was the simple spark to make me want to install the game again (I purchased a new computer just over a year ago, the last one suffered video failure). Boy, was I surprised to find on the download page a number greater than 1.1.1! Being a bit rushed around today because I had to pay rent, pay bills, send message to university registrar, do some homework, watch YouTube videos of dancers Nonstop and iGlide (not liquid dancing, but its not as popular as it was at the turn of the millennium), eat a muffin, pick up smokables, and other first of the month madness: I only just finally sat down and installed the new file and randomed up a Male Dwarf Bard.

I haven't even moved off the first square yet! I was gleefully reading through the change logs (apparently there are more prereleases but they are only available to the glorious philanthropists who funded this ADOM revival). I then wanted to post on the forums to exclaim my gratitude anyways because, hell, 1.2.0 PR1 would have been enough for me, let alone PR5! First though, I had to iterate through the Dwarven Merchant : Paint Picture thread and go through 34 pages before I saw my username (43 pages until I saw my comic, lol stoner king). Then I had to guess my password since I couldn't find a reset password or email password option during login. Luckily, I was foolish enough to use my username as my password.

So anyways... there is no point to this at all except rambling. Just wanted to express my gratitude to TB, JT, and all the donors. Also, anyone else who past or present had some part in delivering this game to me, both in my youth and again and again. This is truly my longest lasting gaming relationship with a single game, even if we had some time away from each other, and I am truly happy to be playing again.

Expect more YASD posts as I relearn what all these acronyms mean again and discover what changes have been made to the game. I probably won't be as active on the forums as I was my first time around but it is nice to see some familiar handles and even cooler to see some unfamiliar ones. I look forward to defeating (or conquering) the FoRcEs Of ChAoS and sharing this ancient experience with my fellow adomites (do we still use that word?)

TL;DR Thanks TB for all past and future releases of ADOM! I'm back, bitches!

P.S. sorry to anyone who wants to "hack" my forum account but apparently there is some new rule stating you can't use your username as your password anymore and I had to change it.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

Yes, it was a pleasant surprise. However, I did check out the forum and the blog quite often.
    AKA Nezur.

Welcome back. How long have you been away? Your previous post was from early 2011, you might not know that JADE has also been released.
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

Long time no see fazisi! Glad to see you around again.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Laukku View Post
    Welcome back. How long have you been away? Your previous post was from early 2011, you might not know that JADE has also been released.
    You just blew my mind.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

I only joined this forum around a year ago, so we haven't met before, but welcome back. It's always good to see veterans return

Have fun playing with the new versions, you will see a lot of stuff has been (and is) being changed.
    "And light there be!"

Welcome back, man! It is a changed world :-)
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by fazisi View Post
    P.S. sorry to anyone who wants to "hack" my forum account but apparently there is some new rule stating you can't use your username as your password anymore and I had to change it.
    Curses!!

Nice to see you back, fazisi, and awesome to see you're having fun!
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Welcome back.

Jade is currently in a state where you can win and do a side quest. It's a bit buggy and you can't do magic yet, but it's playable.

If you'd like to keep up with the latest releases of adom 1, see here: http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.c...ereleases.html
    Or you can just wait as eventually the final version will be available for free.
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 02-02-2013 at 09:20 AM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Wait, who is this fa-sissy guy?

Oh, and you also missed my no-scum brimstone man win.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."