Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beginner information

Updated the second post with some pointers to where to find information about newer versions for veterans returning to the game after a while.
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

Updated the first post with a little information at the end aimed at helping numpad-impaired players. Feedback is appreciated as I'm not very knowledgeable about that - I use a big clunky MS Natural Keyboard to play.

Edit: information added about font type/size/screen size/fullscreen. Feedback is also appreciated.
    Last edited by aerol; 03-06-2013 at 12:08 AM.
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

Updated the first post with information about turning sound off in the versions with NotEye.

anon123: here are a couple tips that could be added to your post about files used by Adom.

- on the DOS version the data directory is also adom_dat within the main Adom folder (the old behavior has not changed).
    - if you want to find out where all your Adom folders are you can run "adom -d" from the command line.

Thanks for that. When you made your other post, I realized there are recent changes to ADOM that need acknowledging in my FAQ (settings are inside My Documents under Windows now, adom.msg was added, there are more config values worth looking at, et cetera).

Will get on all of this tomorrow.
    "And light there be!"

@aerol: Just in case you are not yet in the ADOM credits (my memory totally starts to fail me on these things) please send me your real name to creator(at)ancientdomainsofmystery.com. I have added hints to the new tutorial mode in ADOM that use some of your texts from the game commands you recommend (if that's ok for you - rewriting them just for the sake of it seemed very stupid ;-) ).
    Thomas Biskup
    ADOM & Ultimate ADOM Maintainer
    https://www.adom.de - https://www.ultimate-adom.com

It's good idea, having a FAQ thread stickied in the forums

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    It is also possible to define a directory of your own for this purpose. Go to System Properties -> Advanced -> Environment Variables -> click 'New' at the top, enter ADOM_HOME as the name and the full directory path as the value, and press OK.
    It would be nice to add here that you need to reboot the computer for this change to take effect.

Under Windows 7, a reboot isn't necessary. Programs you were already running will keep the old environment, but anything you open afterwards will see the ADOM_HOME variable.

If you're using a different version of Windows where a reboot is mandatory, please let me know and I'll add that detail.
    "And light there be!"

Has anybody ever tested the following?