Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beginner information

Updated with two more spoily resources and information about challenge games and private prerelease access.
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

Updated with another spoily wiki.
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

The ADOM strategy guide: despite a few innacuracies (I'm working on a revision), this still remains a good strategy and general gameplay resource for beginners, and is relatively light on spoilers. Especially recommended are sections 3 to 9 and 12.
    Not sure I'd recommend this guide to beginners. It suggests using two weapon combat and avoiding shields!
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Here's an old Guide to Bards that may prove handy to some:

http://adom.brinkster.net/forum/mess...ge=1&tmp=61395
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Here's an old Guide to Bards that may prove handy to some:

http://adom.brinkster.net/forum/mess...ge=1&tmp=61395
    Added, though I have a bone to pick with what you said about troll bards

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Not sure I'd recommend this guide to beginners. It suggests using two weapon combat and avoiding shields!
    That's one of the things I'm revising - section 2 is the most laden with innacuracies and not too good advice, but the parts of the guide I specifically recommended are good, and helped me stay alive. Section 12 especially is really good.

Updated with downloadable versions of manual.doc and of the HTML manual. This latter downloadable version is taken (and credited as such) from the IGB, with only two changes: link to the IGB removed (as it would be a dead link since only the manual is downloaded, and also given its spoily nature), background image removed (the background is plain white now).

What does a beginner really need? information about challenge games?

Not really, I think the bare necessities of ADOM life are

adomfaq.txt that comes with the game
    (yes, it's pure Text, not so long, but beginner, take my advice and read it!)

and

Silfirs Tutorial with his orcbarb

http://adom.brinkster.net/forum/messages.asp?thread=6134&start=59495&page=1&tmp=59 566

later on (after a couple of well deserved deaths)
    the beginner can take a stroll through the Manual.doc for further ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Nobbse View Post
    Silfirs Tutorial with his orcbarb
    Drake. But yes, totally.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Added Silfir's tutorial. I give some information about challenge games because it's a question that'll come up eventually and I provide an extra link with information not included in the Adom FAQ. Which brings me to: the FAQ could use a new maintainer...

Updated the second post with a section about common abbreviations in the Adom world.

The challenge game section in the second post will be consolidated into the new upcoming version of the Adom FAQ, which I am in the process of rewriting.