Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What new uses would you like to add for existing skills?

Default What new uses would you like to add for existing skills?

Quite a lot of skills are too limited and can surely use improvement or additional functions - i.e. Law, Metallurgy, Woodcraft...

Some of my ideas:
    - use Woodcraft to create and place doors, or to dismantle existing locked ones without triggering traps
    - add "herb pot" item. It would allow to passively use Gardening to generate some herbs, akin to the way SI replicates itself.
    - use Metallurgy to increase durability for metal items.
    - use Metallurgy + Fletchery + Smithing to create higher metal ammo.
    - use Law as additional defense against Corruption, similar to Appearance use boost from awhile ago.

What do you think of them? What ideas do you have?

I love the idea of the Law skill protecting against corruption (Perhaps only for lawful characters?)

Maybe concentration should give a chance to not spot an enemy until they move closer, when doing an intense activity such as reading spellbooks?

Some random ideas:
    -Law: Increases alignment gains from performing lawful actions (maybe also increases alignment losses from chaotic ones). This isn't necessarily desirable, I guess, but good for lawful ultras if nothing else. Small combat bonuses for lawful characters vs. chaotics might also be appropriate.
    -Listening: Chance of revealing invisible opponents or opponents in darkness for a few turns. Maybe reveal their location until they move, and then you have to pass a listening check to see if you can see them again.
    -Metallurgy: Some bonuses to smithing (more ingot generation from ores?) would make sense. Maybe has a chance to get stethoscope information vs. constructs (since you can see what they're made of and how they work)?
    -Survival: Small reduction in inventory damage, at least to some sources (because you have a better idea of how to stow your gear to keep it dry/protected from heat or cold, etc.)
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Disarm traps:
    Small (5-10%) chance of producing:
    - potion of water (water trap)
    - crystal of light (light trap)
    - huge rock (stone block trap)
    - musical instrument (alarm trap)
    - crystal of fire (fire trap)
    - stack of arrows (arrow trap)
    - viper pet (viper trap)
    - spear (spear trap)

The chance doesn't have to be high - just enough to bother using the skill (which I currently only find a use for in the gremlin cave)
    My orc thief just died.

I dont want to unbalance things, but

swimming should train your dex/strength even if its slightly.
    bridgebuilding should be made more effective. Perhaps reducing log sizes/ increasing hatchet spawn/ have logs form into "bridge sections" that you can carry to your destination and (u)se
    haggling - make it automatic? and change how how success/fail work. Perhaps change it to a % reduction based on your skill. Not sure how this would affect the "Roll". Maybe do a roll for each item that you buy sell and reduce its price accordingly
    Gate Closers:
    Dwarf Monk (p17), Dwarf Paladin (p23), Gnome Duelist (r49), Dark Elf Barbarian (r50), High Elf Archer (r51)

Quote Originally Posted by boat View Post
    bridgebuilding should be made more effective. Perhaps reducing log sizes/ increasing hatchet spawn/ have logs form into "bridge sections" that you can carry to your destination and (u)se
    Maybe you could build bridges out of clay + stones, with some wooden sticks added? Those things are far easier to find in the dungeon...

Quote Originally Posted by sylph View Post
    Disarm traps:
    Small (5-10%) chance of producing:
    - potion of water (water trap)
    - crystal of light (light trap)
    - huge rock (stone block trap)
    - musical instrument (alarm trap)
    - crystal of fire (fire trap)
    - stack of arrows (arrow trap)
    - viper pet (viper trap)
    - spear (spear trap)

The chance doesn't have to be high - just enough to bother using the skill (which I currently only find a use for in the gremlin cave)
    I think this was discussed before, but a pit trap could have a chance of recovering a blanket, and furthermore the blankets have a small chance to be water/fire proof.
    I like the arrow idea because you get a similar stack
    The spear idea needs tuning because its easier just to milk the trap to get as many spears as possible.
    The other trap ideas are solid.
    Gate Closers:
    Dwarf Monk (p17), Dwarf Paladin (p23), Gnome Duelist (r49), Dark Elf Barbarian (r50), High Elf Archer (r51)

Quote Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
    Maybe you could build bridges out of clay + stones, with some wooden sticks added? Those things are far easier to find in the dungeon...
    I like this idea.

I think we have to defend against the biggest arguement with this is that in the wilderness you are quite literally crossing big rivers and deep water. Also, the bridge in general has to support (unlimited)? weight. I dont think a few sticks from a door will would be enough. Although, you can get into a debate about realism really quick with the game relating to monster,dungeon, and door sizes.
    Gate Closers:

I dont think a few sticks from a door will would be enough.
    A log weights 800 st = 40 kg.
    Normal wooden door weights 35-45 kg. If you can create a bridge section from a log, you can certainly create one from a door.

Maybe not especially useful for those who've memorized the alignments of all the monsters, but it'd be kinda neat if the "Law" skill would have a chance of telling you a monster's alignment when you look at it (like how the "it is ____-aligned" message gets added to the "this is a ____, it is slightly injured, etc." line after you cast Know Alignment on something.)