Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uses for potions of uselessness

Default uses for potions of uselessness

What uses do potions of uselessness have, besides propelling yourself forward on a frictionless plane?

You can drink them for satiation.
    You can sell them for gold.
    You carry them to become burdened and train strength.
    You can turn them to poison with the corruption or assassin class power.
    You can dip them into potions of exchange to gain even better potions.
    You can throw them at a monster if you need to anger it without damaging it.

There must be more. Let's ask Thomas to reward each with an artifact.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

You can dip Moon Sickle in it to get potion of raw chaos :P

Btw. did anyone try throwing a potion of stun removal at stunned monsters to see if it works as intended, even when it can't be used by a player character?

Quote Originally Posted by plllizzz9 View Post
    You can dip Moon Sickle in it to get potion of raw chaos :P

Btw. did anyone try throwing a potion of stun removal at stunned monsters to see if it works as intended, even when it can't be used by a player character?
    In 1.1.1 it didn't work, but there was a bug report and this was supposedly fixed.
    You can carry potion of Uselessness in missile slot while converting yourself and altar to avoid dooming.
    I'm going to win with Dark Elves of all classes.
    Mindcrafter, Necromancer, Beastfighter, ULE Archer, UNE Barbarian done.

Quote Originally Posted by Spellweaver View Post
    In 1.1.1 it didn't work, but there was a bug report and this was supposedly fixed.
    It's still "unconfirmed": http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=903

Another use I can think of is RNG fodder, although there are other, more plentiful things that work better for that.
    "And light there be!"

File an issue:
    Potion of uselessness too useful
    Should have zero weight, zero satiation, immunity to becoming poison, immunity to polymorph.

It will still allow to use it in my way.
    Also, it can be sacrificed.
    I'm going to win with Dark Elves of all classes.
    Mindcrafter, Necromancer, Beastfighter, ULE Archer, UNE Barbarian done.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    You can sell them for gold.
    You carry them to become burdened and train strength.
    All objects can do this. Therefore, while it is a use of the potion, it doesn't make the potion useful.

You can turn them to poison with the corruption or assassin class power.
    You can dip them into potions of exchange to gain even better potions.
    You're not using the potion, you're changing it, basically replacing it with something that might be useful. (same with dipping Moon Sickle in it)

You can throw them at a monster if you need to anger it without damaging it.
    That's only useful in terms of the metagame. That is, it's not really an in-universe "use".

Drinking for satiation is, indeed, a use, however. I say that it should provide no satiation whatsoever. It should also not be at all sacrifice-able ("What use would I have for such a thing, Mortal?").

For those suggesting it shouldn't have any weight... that would make it truly useless, because it would no longer do anything for you on D:49. No weight, no recoil.

But I'd like to see it have a second 'use'. Perhaps an NPC you can 'g'ive it to, that will react in some way and give you something back in return. Perhaps Kranf Niest, Torgall, or a new NPC inserted somewhere that is interested in "curiosities". It wouldn't be an "official" use of the potion, but the NPC's interest would be specifically due to it not having any use.

It already has a use! Why give a second use to a potion of uselessness? That's insane!

Also has anyone confirmed that it really does give satiation?
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Various extremely marginal uses where any other item would work just as well (or better, often).

* Wield it in the weapon slot while attacking a grey ooze or ochre jelly to avoid taking damage for attacking unarmed.
    * Pick it up to make your character heavy enough to break ice (to stop an eney being able to follow you).
    * Drop it on the ground before engaging a tough foe, in the hope that it will pause to pick it up giving you more time to flee if you should need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    It already has a use! Why give a second use to a potion of uselessness? That's insane!

Also has anyone confirmed that it really does give satiation?
    Yes, I've even once saved myself from starvation with potion of uselessness. And in fact it satiates even more than some other potions (like water or gain attributes).

+ another use for potion of uselessness: works as explosive with alchemy.

+ dropping them on path of humanoids to slow them down (they may take a turn to pick it up):
    - The doppleganger king picks up the uncursed potion of uselessness.

+ as a weapon (well... if you count this as use as it breaks on first hit and being unarmed most likely does more damage):
    - You hit the giant ant worker but do not manage to harm it. The uncursed potion of uselessness shatters! Absolutely nothing happens.
    - You hit the orc chieftain and slightly wound him. The uncursed potion of uselessness shatters! Absolutely nothing happens.
    - You hit the female goblin and slay her. The uncursed potion of uselessness shatters!
    Note there's no "Absolutely nothing happens." if it kills the target, but there is if it just injures it)

+ ruining scrolls (ok, dropping them could be easier way to get rid off them):
    - You dip the uncursed scroll of identify into the potion of uselessness. The potion of uselessness is wasted. You manage to ruin the uncursed scroll of identify.
    Last edited by Sami; 02-16-2013 at 12:20 PM.