Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: uses for potions of uselessness

Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn View Post
    All objects can do this. Therefore, while it is a use of the potion, it doesn't make the potion useful.
    When it comes to selling, I disagree. You can't have too much gold. The selling use means that if you would have some magic source that provided you with infinite potions of uselessness, you could instantly get enough piety to crown. Training strength is admittedly far fetched.

Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn View Post
    That's only useful in terms of the metagame. That is, it's not really an in-universe "use".
    It makes in-game sense enough to me. When you need to anger a monster that doesn't care about you but you don't want to injure it, throw a harmless liquid at it.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    It makes in-game sense enough to me. When you need to anger a monster that doesn't care about you but you don't want to injure it, throw a harmless liquid at it.
    I didn't mean that the "it angers the monster" part was metagame. It's the "why anger a monster without harming it" part that is metagame. The only foes that you'd want to draw into following you without harming them are already going to follow you anyway, like Yriggs.

I was thinking of a lawful character who wants to eat a blink dog. You don't want to injure the original but you want it to summon.

The part where alignment has nothing to do with how you behave in this game is indeed pretty lame metagame.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.