Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Game

Default New Game

I decided to comment on my new journey and just tell most things I am doing. I would be happy if some people would would comment my actions. I think that in that manner I might find out what I usually do wrong.

Actually my new journey started off quite well. My PC a human male fighter.

Here's my first experiences:
    Incredible: I found an altar on VD1. It was ‘Lawful’. Somehow – I have no idea how – after sacrificing almost everything I had, I changed from N= to LN. I sacrificed a series of animals (Orc, Bat, Jackal, Frog) and now Onn is ‘very pleased’.

Goblin rockthrower sacrificed: ‘You feel an inner strength lifting your spirits’.

Sacrificed another Goblin rockthrower: Status changes to ‘L’

This is just the beginning of the game and what a change!
    Found some brass knuckles, but they don’t seem to be usefull as a weapon. One can wear them as Gauntlets, but what’s the use?

I now have heap of ‘blessed’ rocks with (+0, 1d4), which is the same value as the ‘uncursed’ rocks, so what’s the difference? The ones are as powerfull as the others.

I now also posess an uncursed scroll called “Yikes”.

I sacrificed another series of animals and 'Onn' is still pleased.

I suggest you keep sacrificing until you feel "spiritually invincible". You might find that your luck seems to have improved afterwards. Also, your god will be more receptive to your prayers. Divine favor is a finite resource - gods like sacrifices and their willingness to help will increase with regular sacrifices.

Regarding the hunger concerns you talked about on your previous thread, I suggest you eat monsters that do not negatively affect your health (even if they do taste awful or do not sit well in your stomach) and avoid being Burdened, Strained or Strained! as much as possible (it increases your hunger rate as you are physically exerting yourself). If it's the rations weighing you down, you can keep them in little caches along the dungeon as you descend. If you leave something on the stairs before you descend nobody will be able to touch it until you return.
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

Thanks for those hints

I am now in Stage ‘L’ (Lawfullness). I got a message that I feel spiritually invincible, whatever that means.

I now go down to VD2

Down there I discover an black altar. While trying to sacrifice a Goblin on it, the opposite occurs. The Goblin sacrifices me and I am dead! good to know that one can be sacrificed by monsters!. Next Game.

Started 3rd game today after having been sacrificed on a black altar again!

I do not understand why that altar changed me into CN after I sacrificed to it. I thought the altar would change into Neutral!

Just started 4th game. After leaving the village, I was attacked by a hord of orcs. 1 hit of 40 killed me instantly.

to convert an altar you need a great enough of a sacrifice. If you fail at this, the altar will convert -you- instead.

also converting chaotic altar to lawful may end up making you neutral before you convert them to white, thus andgering more gods at you - this isn't really worth it in early game. it's way easier to simply be neutral at first

Converting altars is a bit of a balancing act. Like plllizzz9 said, converting an altar from C to N and then from C to L means the C and N gods will try to turn your soul towards them. Whenever you try to convert an altar the god will also try to convert you instead, and sometimes they wil succeed. It doesn't mean stop trying or stop experimenting - altars are very valuable - it just means be careful.
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

Thanks, so next time I'll just continue trying to convert it by sacrificing to it.

This time I let myself die of starvation, because I could not find an altar even in DV4. So let's go to game 5 today.

Just went to DV4 again without discovering an altar, so I'm starting up game 6