Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Resurrecting the Adom FAQ and Adom Spoiler FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by aerol View Post
    Pre- and postcrowning (hereafter referred to as
    gifting)
    That's actually a good way of calling it. Pre- and postcrowning are the exact same thing, and calling them by the same name ("gifting") would be much less confusing.
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

Hmm, yeah, that needs a bit of work... The question should probably be split into two - one for pre/post crowns (which is a misnomer, but it's the widely used term) and one for crowning.

3.5.1a. What's all this fuss about pre/post-crowning?

Pre-crowning is the reward of a random artifact gift from your god, but is only given under strict conditions:
    - Must be "extremely close" to your god when sacrificing (roughly equivalent to 100k gold)
    - Your experience level must be above or equal to 8 + (3 * n), where n is the number of artifacts generated by the game so far, including unfound ones, crowning gifts, and orbs
    - Must not be cursed or doomed, including by equipment
    - May not be of extreme alignment (L+,N=,C-), otherwise you'll get crowned instead!
    If you satisfy these and pray then your god will be nice and give you a random artifact. This has just as good a chance of being useless as useful. Because of the restriction based on the number of artifacts generated most people like to do this early on in the game, as it becomes pretty much impossible later on. Typically players see an early altar in a busy area as being the best route to a pre-crown. With a convenient altar and no artifacts generated you can get a precrown as early as level 8.
    You can have multiple pre/post-crowns, but this becomes difficult because each one costs about 60% more piety than the last one did, and each artifact generated pushes up the level requirement. There is also no guarantee that any artifact you generate will be much use, so putting too much effort into this can be a big waste when you could be enjoying the game instead.
    Neutral characters should be careful when praying for a precrown, as sacrificing draws them towards N= alignment. Normally you would get to the high enough level of piety, whip yourself or kill a child to deviate from N=, and then pray.
    Post-crowning is the same as pre-crowning, but after one is crowned. Typically this is harder because more artifacts have been generated, but it doesn't have any alignment restriction.

3.5.1b: And what about crowning? Is that the same?

No, crowning is almost entirely separate. Crowning is a one-time only event, and is completely independent of level or artifacts generated. To be crowned you must be "absolutely close" to your deity (roughly equal to 100k gold), and be L+, N= or C- alignment. You then pray and your god crowns you champion of your alignment, giving you an artifact based on your class and race, a random elemental immunity (one you don't already have) and permanent Blessed status (as per the Bless spell). Crowned characters also can wear more artifacts without it affecting their hunger rate.

Once crowned if you deviate from your main alignment (lawful, neutral or chaotic) then you lose your crowned status and become a "fallen champion". Fallen champions can never be crowned again, not even under another alignment, and may struggle to regain piety. Some quests are also closed to them.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

One little thing - doesn't the cursed/doomed thing also apply to crowning?
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

Yes, but it's such a minor thing I didn't consider it worth repeating. You don't want too much detail in a FAQ.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Thanks a lot, Grey - with some small edits, this will go pretty much as is into the FAQ. Only three sections remain to be rewritten now: 1.7, 1.8 and 3.1.1 (a big one). After that, the first draft will be finished.

Edit: only 3.1.1 remains to be rewritten.
    Last edited by aerol; 03-02-2013 at 01:16 AM.
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

The second draft is nearly done - thanks to Grey for proofing the first draft. I will be adding a new question: "2.0: What are some of the basic keyboard commands I need to know?" - suggestions are welcome. After that, the final draft will be finished.

Two things: first, I took the plain text of the Adom Spoiler FAQ from the newsgroup, cleaned up the formatting a little, and put it up here. Whoever wants to work on a new version will now be able to skip the initial formatting cleanup and go right to rewriting. I really hope someone will be willing to take on the job since the value of that document is its sheer conciseness - it's even shorter than the regular FAQ. Would be a real nice resource for people new to the game, giving quick and dirty answers to frequent questions without them having to dive deep into the Guidebook or other such in depth resources.

Second, I'd appreciate some proofreading/comments/suggestions on the last bit of text to be added to the FAQ:

Code:
     2.1a: What are some of the basic keyboard commands I need to know?

- Press ' > ' to enter a location on the wilderness map (hamlet, village, cave, tunnel, wilderness square, etc.)
    - Press ' C ' to chat with creatures.
    - Move into creatures to attack them with fists or wielded weapons/items.
    - Press ' t ' to use a missile weapon/throw something.
    - Press ' i ' to bring up your inventory.
    - Press ' , ' to pick something up.
    - Press ' d ' to drop something.
    - Press ' e ' to eat something.
    - Press ' D ' to drink something.
    - Press ' l ' for the look/examine command. This lets you move the cursor around the screen to examine
    your surroundings.
    - Press ' @ ' to bring up information about your character.
    - Press ' S ' to save your game.
    - Press ' ? ' at any time within the game to bring up the look/examine command, a complete list of the
    keybindings (commands), the manual and the readme (mini-faq). The list of keybindings is there to
    help - don't neglect consulting it. (Reading the manual doesn't hurt either.)

Don't be intimidated by the total number of commands. You do not need to use each and every one of
    them to play the game, and within a few games the ones you use will stick, and then become second nature.

2.1b: I can't seem to move diagonally, but the monsters around me have no problem doing it. What's going on?

Your character can move in all eight directions (up, down, left, right, and all diagonals) as well as wait in
    place. In the game the cardinal points are also used to refer to these eight directions (north, south,
    east, west, etcetera). You can use the numbers 12346789 to move in all directions and 5 (or '.')
    to wait in place; the arrow keys can also be used for north-south-east-west. You will notice that this has
    been designed with a <numpad> in mind. If your keyboard has a numpad, ideally you will use it to move.

If you do not have a numpad, see <this forum thread> or <this other one> for alternatives. If after reading that
    you want to change your default keybindings by editing the adom.kbd file, see <this post> if you need
    help with finding that file.
    Last edited by aerol; 03-05-2013 at 11:24 PM.

sometimes it is alt-q
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

sometimes it is alt-q
    Does it depend on the OS?
    Last edited by aerol; 03-06-2013 at 07:29 PM.

The new AdomFAQ (version 6.0, last change March 6th 2013) is live at http://adomgb.info. Thanks to Andy Williams for the continued hosting. It will now get its own dedicated thread.

If somebody knows the answer to my question in the post above, I'd appreciate the help

Ideally somebody will step up and want to take over maintaining the Adom Spoiler FAQ. I would suggest to future maintainers not to expand the document too much or add too many new sections - just correct the inaccuracies and rewrite when necessary. The old list of questions in the last version is a good roadmap to keep since most of it is still relevant to today's frequently asked spoiler questions.