11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's a good idea.

3 27.27%
  • No, you're a doofus.

8 72.73%

Thread: Number pad alternative

Hybrid View

Default Number pad alternative

So I figured I'd post here before messing around in the RFE section and potentially making a fool of myself.

So I play on a laptop that doesn't have a number pad. Some laptops will have some of the letter keys take number pad input when num lock is on, but not my laptop. Are there any other directional controls in the game? If not, would adding some be a good idea?

I was thinking that adding some controls like NetHack or vi could work, which use the inputs 'hjklyunm' for directions. Some of these keys have actions and would need to be changed.

h - I think I can count the number of times 'handle' is used in the game on 1 hand.
    j - not used
    k - kick, would need to be changed. Maybe K or ctrl-k?
    l - look
    y - not used (well, there's y/n questions, but you can't move when answering a y/n question anyway)
    u - use, might be a hard one to rebind
    n - name
    m - as far as I know only drakelings use this command

Anyone else think this is a feasible idea?

My brother got accustomed to the normal number (1-9) input pretty quickly and could play at amazing speed (although it is a bit less comfortable ofcourse.. but good training for your finger/wrist muscles) :P

That's kinda what I do now, arrow buttons and 1379.
    Last edited by NMBLNG; 02-28-2013 at 05:32 PM.

I use 1379 and arrow keys myself. TB has been looking at various configurations to try to replace the numpad for both ADOM I and II, but most are pretty unsatisfactory. For your personal use, you can always rebind keys to whatever system you think will work best. I intensely dislike the vikeys myself.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

That TB has been looking into it is good news.

Rebinding keys must be a newer feature (or just one I've not noticed for years). I'll check it out next time I get a chance.

You have always been able to rebind keys by editing the adom.kbd file, AFAIK.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.