Thread: Prayer scaling [spoily]

Question Prayer scaling [spoily]

So my level 28 orcish monk (p10) is having a hard time putting a dent into the ancient stone beast. I do have a hand axe of penetration but this seems like it is going to be a long ordeal indeed. (Its PV has been buffed from 60 to 66 - a small difference but it is a big one when you're not dealing so much damage to begin with.) So I have two questions:

- What are the effects of throwing a blessed PoCC at the ASB?

- Trying to whittle away at the ASB poses another problem because of a prayer problem. I'm out of healing potions and herbs. I have prayed many times for healing - to the extent that now, praying for healing takes up so much piety that I've gone from "very close" to having my equipment turned to dust in two prayers. This upwards scaling of piety costs seems so over the top it's ridiculous. Is there some kind of secret handshake that can improve the situation or do I have to resign myself to every prayer for healing having to be offset by a mountain of gold?
    Last edited by aerol; 03-04-2013 at 08:04 PM.
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

Quote Originally Posted by aerol View Post
    - What are the effects of throwing a blessed PoCC at the ASB?
    Any monster with a corrupting attack takes damage corresponding to the potion's B/U/C status, and loses its ability to deal further corrupting hits.

- Trying to whittle away at the ASB poses another problem because of a prayer problem. I'm out of healing potions and herbs. I have prayed many times for healing - to the extent that now, praying for healing takes up so much piety that I've gone from "very close" to having my equipment turned to dust in two prayers. This upwards scaling of piety costs seems so over the top it's ridiculous. Is there some kind of secret handshake that can improve the situation or do I have to resign myself to every prayer for healing having to be offset by a mountain of gold?
    Each specific favor increases its cost every time it's granted to you. There is no trick for this except what we already know reduces prayer costs: get crowned, Candle, pious talent line, and I think there was a class power. That's why you shouldn't overrely on them, and why archmages can't rely on prayers to refill their PP quickly - do it enough times and the cost becomes extremely high.
    "And light there be!"

Use the water orb for healing.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Avoid prayer as much as you can. Use it when you will die next turn without it, and there is no other option.
    If you are taking too much damage, run away.
    No, farther away.
    Then heal.
    You want the prayer when you are confused, surrounded, on a no TP level, at 5% hp.

I realized this when I got surrounded in the Mana Temple by Uber-jackal chaos servants. Prayer was no longer viable, running out of heal.
    Then I learned the power of darkness, which let my character leave and take the foes one at a time.

(later aged to death trying to clear a GUV, filled with Uber-ghosts. Another lesson learned. Ants and summoners don't mix)

Yeah, prayer costs grow basically exponentially; that's why it's very important to use PoEH and such (like water orb) instead of relying on prayers.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Can't use the orb - this is a Brass man. Spent my entire initial cache of healing potions getting over the ToEF hill; that was tough. I'm guessing that even if I found a weeping weapon it would have to deal damage in the first place to cause bleeding, so I guess it'll have to be that hand axe of penetration after all for this big guy.
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

Thank the RNG for small miracles (PoCC + acid blood + hand axe of penetration). One more orb. It's too bad I had to use a weapon, but there was no killing this guy otherwise at this point, it seems. I dropped the axe after it was dead, so I guess I'll be able to say my monk "almost didn't wield weapons" in his adventure. On to the next challenge.
    Last edited by aerol; 03-04-2013 at 11:53 PM.