Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Invisible at Arena

I also have a RoDS. I could either save kelly or complete the arena. What does kelly give his savior?
    You don't have to be taught all that much; you just need to acquire more cautiousness, an almost healthy amount of sheer paranoia, and a more fine-tuned "OH SHIT RUN!" reflex. ~Silfir

Quote Originally Posted by Cash View Post
    What does kelly give his savior?
    Six SoCRs, two spellbooks, some PoUHs and a few other items (all blessed), plus the possibility of an ultra ending if you're so inclined.
    "And light there be!"

Khelly > Arena rewards for all classes with the change to the Mystic
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    The benefits of permanent invisibility far outweigh the loss of doing the Arena...
    No reason you can't have both, though, is there?
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

I would not wish for potions of visibility. You might not get enough to complete it - they are that short lasting. Wish is much better used for khelly IMO.
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    No reason you can't have both, though, is there?
    Sure, but if you can get perma invis at level 6, that's a potential game-winner. Advantages in the early game are worth far more than advantages in the late game.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrnyx View Post
    I would not wish for potions of visibility. You might not get enough to complete it - they are that short lasting. Wish is much better used for khelly IMO.
    SECONDED! Saving Khelavaster is one of the hardest things to accomplish in the course of a normal game, because it requires an item which is not only super, super-rare, it also requires that item at a really early time in the game.

So your first wish should pretty much always be for a AoLS, imo, unless you're past that level by the time you get the wish.

Draining all the pools in Darkforge doesn't always give you a wish, and to even attempt that, you need to be able to get into that room in the first place (fighting, lightning bolt/ball, teleportation...), really good standing with your god, easy access to an aligned altar, and a lot of gold by the time you want to drain the pools (because you're almost certain to be doomed and cursed by the time you've drained so many pools).

Sure, but if you can get perma invis at level 6, that's a potential game-winner. Advantages in the early game are worth far more than advantages in the late game.
    In that case, should you be drinking from pools in the first place? There's potions and spells, much safer.

Invisibility is strong. Permanent invisibility is mostly convenient. There's no such thing as a "game-winner" in any stage.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    In that case, should you be drinking from pools in the first place? There's potions and spells, much safer.
    Early pools are worth draining, IMHO. If you've only been playing half and hour, and getting intrinsic invis or an early wish will win you the game 80%, or even 50%, of the time, that's a pretty good deal even if, on average, the most likely result is you'll be doomed or killed by snakes. In terms of time investment in versus rewards out, it's a no-brainer. Most PCs don't have access to on-demand invisibility until well into the midgame or later.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

If you've only been playing half and hour, and getting intrinsic invis or an early wish will win you the game 80%, or even 50%, of the time, that's a pretty good deal even if, on average, the most likely result is you'll be doomed or killed by snakes. In terms of time investment in versus rewards out, it's a no-brainer.
    Imo it depends. If you're playing an easy R/C and all you want is a win, your odds of winning can be above 80% from turn one. In that case pools are best left alone. But if you're playing a difficult R/C or some special challenge, I would agree.

If you really want to maximise wins per hour, it also depends if you find the pool after half an hour or after one minute. Pretty interesting application of discounted utility.
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 03-18-2013 at 09:39 AM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.