Thread: Asia/Pacific Server?

Default Asia/Pacific Server?

Last summer I played a good deal of ADOM on the US server, which I appreciated, but was often frustrated the high latency and frequent hangups. I haven't tried to UK server yet... but I remember the European server (~late 2010) being even worse. (currently a traceroute to the US server shows 18 hops and the UK is 19, but with almost double the latency) Right now almost all my playing happens offline (since I'm a donor and want the latest pre release!) but I was wondering in 6 months or so when there's an actual release, if anyone else would be interested in a Japanese or maybe Hawaiian server, because I don't know much about computers but I'd be more than willing to try and set one up. Specifically, are there any Australians, Polynesians, or Asians out there who would like having a server that's not half the world away? Or am I the only one...? =/

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbreath View Post
    Last summer I played a good deal of ADOM on the US server, which I appreciated, but was often frustrated the high latency and frequent hangups. I haven't tried to UK server yet... but I remember the European server (~late 2010) being even worse. (currently a traceroute to the US server shows 18 hops and the UK is 19, but with almost double the latency) Right now almost all my playing happens offline (since I'm a donor and want the latest pre release!) but I was wondering in 6 months or so when there's an actual release, if anyone else would be interested in a Japanese or maybe Hawaiian server, because I don't know much about computers but I'd be more than willing to try and set one up. Specifically, are there any Australians, Polynesians, or Asians out there who would like having a server that's not half the world away? Or am I the only one...? =/
    You can set one up for personal use easily using your PC and internet connection. Use an old laptop/desktop for that to have it always on (when accessing from mobile/onroad/...), install debian/ubuntu on it, ww.noip.com will help if you have dynamic IP. SSH/Telnet server is all you need (except ADOM). Once you can access your machine through dogbreath.no-ip.org (or whatever you decide) with putty (make sure to have 80x25 resolution setup) etc you'll be able to login and run adom. If you wish to host a full server then there is a little bit more work, but just having online for personal use is as easy as that.

I'd play on an Oceanic server if someone set one up; I live in Australia, and the latency issue is why I don't play on public servers. So if there was one nearby, I'd definitely be tempted to get into that.