Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monk Spell Casting

Default Monk Spell Casting

Could a monk ever learn Improved fireball? What about other hard to learn spells? Is there a known formula for predicting such things?
    You don't have to be taught all that much; you just need to acquire more cautiousness, an almost healthy amount of sheer paranoia, and a more fine-tuned "OH SHIT RUN!" reflex. ~Silfir

Any class can learn any spell, but I would sell my Wish spellbook as an Orc Barbarian. There is some formulaes, others will chip in later.

What I will say is: have learning, literacy, concentration, level and luck(?) high. Be satiated. In other words shoot for 100s in skills, wear items that make you extremely lucky(is what I do anyway).

30+ Lit, Lvl? Don't be teleporting randomly now.

Oh, bless the book.

I see you are not new, so you probably know all I said, sry.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 03-20-2013 at 06:37 AM.
    Learn to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    Any class can learn any spell, but I would sell my Wish spellbook as an Orc Barbarian. There is some formulaes, others will chip in later.

What I will say is: have learning, literacy, concentration, level and luck(?) high. Be satiated. In other words shoot for 100s in skills, wear items that make you extremely lucky(is what I do anyway).

30+ Lit, Lvl? Don't be teleporting randomly now.

Oh, bless the book.

I see you are not new, so you probably know all I said, sry.
    I am new enough to this information. Thank you. I would however like to know when a decent time to to attempt reading this book is. as far as level and stats go. I am only lvl 9 with 13 Le, so i may not get a chance to try this time around.
    You don't have to be taught all that much; you just need to acquire more cautiousness, an almost healthy amount of sheer paranoia, and a more fine-tuned "OH SHIT RUN!" reflex. ~Silfir

I don't know a formula but difficult spells like improved fireball are too much at this point. If you gain some levels, eat the oracle and wear the CoS you might succeed.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Also bless the spellbook.
    In any case, Improved Fireball is almost completely impractical, especially in prereleases, I'm not sure you should go for it.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

But it makes you a monk with Hadoken! :P
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

also it's the only 'safe' way of clearing g. vaults of undead

Level has a quite large effect. At level 9, you probably won't be able to learn the spell. At level 20, you might have a shot.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Why is Improved Fireball worse in prereleases?

It uses a lot of PP (base cost + extra cost for every square of distance you throw it), which is bad with the new HP casting penalties.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!