Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: troll healer tip

Could someone explain to me why someone going for a regular ending; needs to risk his life to get to HMV. Is that SoCR so important?
    Learn to learn.

You don't need to, but it can be fun. And you can find shops and stuff.

Personally I prefer to go straight for the arena and dwarftown instead.

The passage through the UD can yield very high quality loot for that point in the game. Getting things like +11-ish DV crystal shields, mithril gear and other armor with good PV modifiers right from the start, can be a real boon.
    "And light there be!"

I'd never recommend a UD run to start with, but if you visit there above level 8 or so, there's a good chance you'll find a couple vaults or maybe some herbs.

Depending on race, having access to the HMV shopkeeper can be a real boon as well.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

It isn't so much 'advisable' as it is a playstyle, the darwinian playstyle to be exact.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    Could someone explain to me why someone going for a regular ending; needs to risk his life to get to HMV. Is that SoCR so important?
    Well, I wait until after the Griffyard to do the UD (by that point you either have a source of teleportation or invisibility to make it to the SMC downstairs) so it's not a life threatening area any more, but there are plenty of good reasons:

1. The chance of at least one vault, sometimes three or four. They always have lots of good stuff, and are good for experience as well.
    2. Almost guaranteed to have a level with herbs. (this is nice if you just got herbalism from the Druid)
    3. Very high chance of at least one altar, which makes pre-crowning a lot easier. Especially in conjunction with said herbs. (either to sac, or in newer versions, use as a food source while you sac monsters)
    4. The shop really is nice - especially if you're playing a Dark Elf. (which I frequently do)

Overall, it's just a great area to visit before doing the Pyramid, as it has a lot of experience, a lot of nice gear, and will almost always improve your chances of survival in the teens and twenties of the CoC.

I try to enter the SMC at level 1, or really any low level, then come back later. Preferably with teleport.

*nods* Locking a door and reading one of the scrolls for a few hundred turns is a good way of letting the SMC populate with level 1 or 2 monsters, making it easier to travel through later.

It also helps train literacy, as those scrolls don't disappear when read in the SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by NMBLNG View Post
    It also helps train literacy, as those scrolls don't disappear when read in the SMC.
    I think that's been fixed.
    Learn to learn.