Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halberd of Mayhem vs Warhammer of Devastation

Default Halberd of Mayhem vs Warhammer of Devastation

Eternium Halberd of Mayhem (+11, 6d7 +14) [-2, +0] vs Adamantium Warhammer of Devastation (+3, 6d3 +12) ....Which is better? I just found both at the graveyard on my lvl drake pally. I am about to go slaw griff and friends with the halberd, but i couldnt help but wonder if i should be using the less damage weapon in junction with a shield.
    Last edited by Cash; 03-26-2013 at 07:11 AM.
    You don't have to be taught all that much; you just need to acquire more cautiousness, an almost healthy amount of sheer paranoia, and a more fine-tuned "OH SHIT RUN!" reflex. ~Silfir

Well, in terms of pure damage, the halberd is about 50% better (I'm guessing the second one is supposed to be warhammer is with title?). If you've got a good shield (big crystal shield, eternium), it might be worth sticking with the hammer anyway--the big shield could be worth 25+ DV and a couple points PV. Depends how good your shield is, I guess.

If you wanted to follow the advice of your sig, stick with the shield.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Well, in terms of pure damage, the halberd is about 50% better (I'm guessing the second one is supposed to be warhammer is with title?). If you've got a good shield (big crystal shield, eternium), it might be worth sticking with the hammer anyway--the big shield could be worth 25+ DV and a couple points PV. Depends how good your shield is, I guess.

If you wanted to follow the advice of your sig, stick with the shield.
    Yes the second one was supposed to be warhammer, oops! 50% damage is a good way to put it. I think the halberd is more worth it overall but even so, i am certain it is less defensive.
    You don't have to be taught all that much; you just need to acquire more cautiousness, an almost healthy amount of sheer paranoia, and a more fine-tuned "OH SHIT RUN!" reflex. ~Silfir

it doesn't lose that much in terms of defense as you master polearms and it allows you to gather marks before you get RCT

and that makes you worries about DV pretty naught

so it'd be a nice choice. generally the best defense in the end is a good offense.

If you have, say, a +10 shield, that would be +30 DV
    (if your shield skill is 10). So set tactics to 'very
    aggressive' to see how much DV is nerfed (say -20).
    Your net DV is +10 and you will likely still have
    mediocre damage.

On the other hand, skill level 10 in polemarms is +12
    DV, and add in the -2 from the weapon itself for a
    base of +10. Now set tactics to defensive (as very
    defensive will not yield marks), and observe the
    results. You will likely have higher to-damage on the
    halberd in 'defensive' than the hammer+shield on 'very
    aggressive', and your DV should be close too.

To summarize, IMO the +11 to-hit on the halberd is the
    difference-maker.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    If you have, say, a +10 shield, that would be +30 DV
    (if your shield skill is 10). So set tactics to 'very
    aggressive' to see how much DV is nerfed (say -20).
    Your net DV is +10 and you will likely still have
    mediocre damage.

On the other hand, skill level 10 in polemarms is +12
    DV, and add in the -2 from the weapon itself for a
    base of +10. Now set tactics to defensive (as very
    defensive will not yield marks), and observe the
    results. You will likely have higher to-damage on the
    halberd in 'defensive' than the hammer+shield on 'very
    aggressive', and your DV should be close too.

To summarize, IMO the +11 to-hit on the halberd is the
    difference-maker.
    You are a fucking genius man. What will this mean for the speed at which i gain marks?

I think tactics setting has little affect on non-shield marks as long as your aren't very defensive or coward, but I can't say that I've tested it thoroughly.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Personally, I've tried to give two-handers a chance, but the extra DV from a good shield and a high corresponding skill (you can get up to around level 8 with ease, and that gives 16 DV on top of the shield's base bonus) really made itself be missed. So I'd take the warhammer. If you're choosing from these two because you don't have any other good one-handers, get Big Punch. I used to just stash that until I realized what a good weapon it is. And the -6 DV will help you gain shield marks faster
    "And light there be!"

You won't gain weapon marks if you're in Coward mode, and you won't gain shield marks if you're in Berzerk mode. Other than that...

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    You won't gain weapon marks if you're in Coward mode
    Very Defensive too, and surprisingly none of this applies to missile attacks.

Very Aggressive is a good way to get more shield marks once you're past a point where most monsters seem to miss you.
    "And light there be!"