Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Chit-Chat thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    The thing is chemical hazards can be dreadful, but they are short period and can be often sorted, nuclear ones give very long term problems.
    This is very true, and the big problem with nuclear fission. It's not generally what people worry about - they care more about invisible gamma rays giving them cancer. My point in general is that people are somehow less afraid of something they can see. The idea of some ghost-like killer scares them far more, leading to an extremely negative stigmatism around anything labeled "nuclear".
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Like the family?

> people are somehow less afraid of something they can see.

What people are you talking about exactly? Don't give more
    consideration to a 'vocal minority' than they diserve, which is
    usually none.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    invisible gamma rays
    "Invisible" as opposed to what? Visible gamma rays?

I know, I know, its just an EM-wave, but as far as I recall the frequency range was mentioned somewhere in the definition of "gamma ray"

But always nice to know that theres something I do *not* need to worry about: visible gamma rays. Completely safe from them. I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    > people are somehow less afraid of something they can see.

What people are you talking about exactly? Don't give more
    consideration to a 'vocal minority' than they diserve, which is
    usually none.
    When Grey mentioned "ghost-like" killers I immediately thought of snipers. I've read that soldiers really hate enemy snipers. Yes, on wikipedia.
    Last edited by Epythic; 07-02-2009 at 01:49 PM.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

Hi, not even remotely on topic. But I thought I'd introduce myself. Erm, been playing adom on and off for a few years, never save scummed, never completed either. I stumbled upon it by accident. I continue to play now and then when I have time. Erm... Yeah that's about it.

an extremely negative stigmatism around anything labeled "nuclear".
    When physicians started using magnetic resonance, they very wisely chose to call it MRI - magnetic resonance imaging. They didn't care that it had been around since the 1940s, used by chemists and physicists under the moniker NMR - nuclear magnetic resonance, a rather more descriptive term for what is actually going on.
    ADOM Guidebook: http://adomgb.info/

an extremely negative stigmatism around anything labeled "nuclear".
    People fear what they don't understand.

Default Phew I`m back from vacation.

I was in Urals these last two weeks, went to visit my parents. So I`ve read your talks and remembered a little town wich is pretty close to my city I was born in. It was called Semipalatinsk, and it had a nuclear testing ground. So since 1949 they were testing nuclear bombs there. They blasted 616 nuclear devices there - bombs, mines, rockets. But the first explosion was very cruel. Because after 8 hours after explosion 10 000 young soldiers were ordered to march through the centre of the place were bomb exploded. The goverment wanted to check the radiation effect on people, because japans didn`t want to share their information about medical consiquences of Hiroshima and Nagasaki nuking. (by the way we are still in official state of war with them since WWII, because we (or they) didnt sign a peace treaty )

Barak Obama visited my country. He brought an interesting proposal with him. "Hey guys, can you lower the number of your nukes, please? Our defence system that we are building in Poland and Czehks against you cannot guaranty us that you will not retaliate us, so common lets lower the number of nukes?"

Quote Originally Posted by boris_pankov@inbox.ru View Post
    Barak Obama visited my country. He brought an interesting proposal with him. "Hey guys, can you lower the number of your nukes, please? Our defence system that we are building in Poland and Czehks against you cannot guaranty us that you will not retaliate us, so common lets lower the number of your nukes?"
    There, fixed it for you.

(just joking)