Quote Originally Posted by Thing View Post
I tend not to worry about nuclear power or bombs. Here in New Zealand nuclear power/bombs are illegal. I think the likely hood of a nuclear war is very low in my life time and even if there was one, who would nuke New Zealand? I'm sure we could just sit down here at the end of the earth and let the rest of the world ignore us. Probably no such luck for you guys in Europe and the USA though. The french would have probably had it comming. I agree with gut, power and bombs are fine just no testing.
I live in germany and as far as I know, there were plans to nuke us around '45. And one of the proposed targets was not really far from where I live. Thankfully it didnt happen, but this reminds me that no, I am not "somewhere else".

Of course at that time they had their reasons and its unlikely that it happens nowadays. But if some country not worrying about middle- and longterm effects gets access to nuclear weapons that is a risk.

OTOH, theres this "we have it, why should they not be allowed to have it too?" argument.

As for New Zealand, yeah, you are probably nice and safe there. For now.