Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Chit-Chat thread.

Quote Originally Posted by fazisi View Post
    History is written by the winners. If these now-called "terrorists" were able to overthrow the ruling government and instill their dogma on the masses, they will be viewed as liberators and their "terrorism" was a neccessary evil in the purging and redemption of the country.
    This comparison is inappropriate in this case. People from the North Caucasus is too far behind in the culture.
    In fact, they have primitive tribal system. Their women have no rights. These people are not able to impose their culture or history of another country.

And if I'm not mistaken, Yeltsin gave freedom for Chechnya on probation in four years. This check Chechnya could not stand it, attacking Dagestan. Therefore Chechnya attached back. I am in favor of separating from Russia throughout the Caucasus with these aggressive highlanders. But then, Chechnya, Ingushetia and Dagestan became a powerful terrorist base.
    Last edited by yisk; 03-31-2010 at 08:42 PM.

Edit: I am replying to Jellyslayer.

From a legal / judicial point of view, actions of states may technically not fall under the definition of terrorism. But my point is, that the Allied forces in the second world war performed some actions that are not much different from what terrorists are doing, at least from a moral point of view. They have diliberately bombed civilians, rather than just military targets. Hiroshima and Nagasaki are perhaps the clearest and most dramatic examples. These civilians were "innocent" in the same sense that the civilians killed by terrorist bombings today are innocent: they were unarmed, defenseless and not directly involved in the conflict.

There are nuances and you could argue that I'm comparing apples to oranges, but I do think the line that morally seperates these actions is quite thin.
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 03-31-2010 at 08:53 PM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

nathrakh Guest

What's this dead-serious political crap discussion doing on MY ADOM forums??

If we define terrorism as an act of violence against innocents with the purpose of achieving a political goal through the power of fear, I think we're there. Though it should be realized that the "political conflict" we're talking about was a full blown state of war that had already cost millions of casualties, military and civilian, and the "political goal" in this case was to put an end to it as quickly as possible, hoping to avoid further casualties. (Basically, the two atomic bombs were a gigantic American "SERIOUSLY GUYS, SURRENDER ALREADY".)

I have a hard time condemning or defending the bombings, actually. It was a war. It was the first time atomic bombs had been used in war, and the last, even though the nations possessing them have been in a fair number of wars since. Each time they were contemplating whether to use them, they knew, or at least had more of a clue, what would be the consequences. Without Hiroshima or Nagasaki, we would look to the other places they would have been first used (and I think we'd give humanity too much credit if we believed that they wouldn't).

Compared to modern-day small scale terrorism? The line isn't really that thin, I think. World War II is different from... well, basically anything that has come since.
    Last edited by Silfir; 03-31-2010 at 09:19 PM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Edit: I am replying to Jellyslayer.

From a legal / judicial point of view, actions of states may technically not fall under the definition of terrorism. But my point is, that the Allied forces in the second world war performed some actions that are not much different from what terrorists are doing, at least from a moral point of view.
    Perhaps. No side is completely blameless in WW2. But on the scale of atrocities committed by all powers, the atomic bombings probably wouldn't make the top 5. Maybe not even the top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    They have diliberately bombed civilians, rather than just military targets. Hiroshima and Nagasaki are perhaps the clearest and most dramatic examples. These civilians were "innocent" in the same sense that the civilians killed by terrorist bombings today are innocent: they were unarmed, defenseless and not directly involved in the conflict.
    This is the point where we differ. Most of the powers involved in World War II, including Japan, were engaged in total war--every available resource was being put into the war effort. Hiroshima was home to several military and industrial complexes, and was hardly defenseless. Nagasaki was a major military industrial centre. Both were legitimate military targets that had no civilians in the sense of the term you are describing since the vast majority of the non-combattants would have been providing material support for the armed forces.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

The atomic bombs notably didn't cause as much damage as the bombing of Dresden, which used purely conventional weapons. You don't need nuclear weapons to destroy a city.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Depends on what you measure with "damage". Civilian casualties of the Dresden bombings are estimated at around 25.000; the atomic bombs claimed at least ten times as much (long-term, including irradation-induced sickness).

People don't care so much about cities destroyed. As corny as it sounds, cities can be rebuilt, the dead cannot be revived.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

> History is written by the winners.

> jury is out on whether states are even
    > capable of performing terrorist actions

> Allied forces in the second world war performed
    > some actions that are not much different from
    > what terrorists are doing,

Right and wrong aren't determined by what has
    happened in the past. History Shmistory. I don't
    need no stinking books, tv shows, politicians,
    'holy' men, or other assorted sources of mental
    illness to tell me (to, or) not to go around
    killing people. Someone tells me to go kill
    someone, I tell them no thanks. Or something
    like that anyway. I do feel sorry for all the young
    brains out there in the world that are so easily
    washed though...
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Yeah, I'm with you on that one gut. The truth is the only real truth, not the interpretation others provide. But sadly, as time passes, only the (false) information provided becomes the real truth until it is all so skewed or forgotten it becomes irrelavent. At which point, history repeats itself.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

nathrakh Guest

Easter holidays are here and I thought of celebrating Jesus' death by drinking some beer. (I'm really not a satanist).

Thought of trying quite new "Korpisavu" beer. Literally "Wilderness smoke", or Backwoods smoke or something.. :-)