Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is 1.2 harder than 1.1?

You could still use the method Rachel Walmsley (IIRC) used back in the day:

Play a lawful wizard. Get Great Book Caster. Run around killing Blue Dragons until you generate a huge stack of wands (should only take a few hours) and hopefully a couple of wishes on the side. Get Mana Battery and boost your PP (you can also wish for "power" and get a substantial boost to max PP), then wait for Silvernight. The goal is to have enough PP and HP that you can book cast Wish with all your stats at 1 and survive - which isn't actually as tedious as it sounds. Once you're able to, then you can quickly raise your HP and PP into the 10,000s, wish for 98 PoGA, scrolls of protection and defense, etc, etc, etc.

Honestly, I think doing it the old fashioned way might be less tedious (and certainly more feasible) then trying to get together hundreds of rings and dipping them.

"Taking healer to Water Dragon Cave" could be the new version of "Taking Banshee to the Animated Forest"?

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Scum wands from BDC and greater vaults and use Mana Battery to buff PP. Use Mana Orb + ToTRR to keep your Ma score fixed. Basically same as 1.1.1.

In 1.1.1 its actually not that hard, indeed if a wizard is doing an ultra ending if you can't do an archmage your probably going to struggle to kill andor anyway. You don't even need to scum that much.

mana orb + totrr is 34 mana and you should be able to get it to base 40 just by casting spells. Since you have saved Khelly you should be able to do bug temple + weird tome which means about 12 chaos scrolls + the unicorn worth of corruption. Then you just use guantlets + orb use to boost your mana to 99, refreshing your corruption when required.

Then you just need to get good/great book caster and its done - as at silver night you can get the cost down to about 2200 sp - easily achievable.

The problem with the new betas is the To abuse on HP casting, because initially you rely on HP casting quite heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbreath View Post
    You could still use the method Rachel Walmsley (IIRC) used back in the day:

Play a lawful wizard. Get Great Book Caster. Run around killing Blue Dragons until you generate a huge stack of wands (should only take a few hours) and hopefully a couple of wishes on the side. Get Mana Battery and boost your PP (you can also wish for "power" and get a substantial boost to max PP), then wait for Silvernight. The goal is to have enough PP and HP that you can book cast Wish with all your stats at 1 and survive - which isn't actually as tedious as it sounds. Once you're able to, then you can quickly raise your HP and PP into the 10,000s, wish for 98 PoGA, scrolls of protection and defense, etc, etc, etc.

Honestly, I think doing it the old fashioned way might be less tedious (and certainly more feasible) then trying to get together hundreds of rings and dipping them.
    the first archmage was in gamma 14 - quite a seminal post on the adom news group back in the day, which used the same method - minus the good book caster talents obviously

Huh. I started following RGRA early 2002, so Rachel's post was the first time I had seen it done. I wasn't aware it had been done pre-1.0.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbreath View Post
    Huh. I started following RGRA early 2002, so Rachel's post was the first time I had seen it done. I wasn't aware it had been done pre-1.0.0.
    pretty sure this is the first archmage
    http://adom.brinkster.net/hof/flg_di...y=archmage.txt

not sure when people worked out the ring dipping trick, i think that was in 1.0.0 era.