Thread: Toll Elementalist Win (this is my first post on the forum)

Default Toll Elementalist Win (this is my first post on the forum)

So I downloaded the newest version (1.2.0 pre release version 5) of ADOM a few months ago and have been playing through it. I had won twice previously (in older versions), both times with a gnomish wizard*.

This time I was playing just for fun to see some of the changes. I created a Trollish Elementalist (I know huh? this should have been a joke), but found a good weapon early in the game, and moved to a mostly melee character (which is too bad given the Elementalist choice and the slow weapon skill learning spell casters come with).

Anyway, I had a pretty easy start to the game (why else do you play a troll?), and got great headgear as my crowning gift (lawful, I always play lawful).

I really got stuck at the fire temple, and couldn't get my last method of fire proofing. I spent a quite a few months (in-game time) trying to get ready for it. I had about half dozen corruptions already when I finally passed it. I did the water temple easily while waiting for some red armor to drop (there was nothing in darkforge).

Once that was done I easily overcame the air and ground temples, but then I had a huge problem. I felt like I could keep going down and try for the win at this point, but I had accumulated 16 or 17 corruptions (meleeing through the temples causes lots of corruption damage).

So I had to go back to the surface and hope for good item drops in the top layers of the caves. I was only level 26 and couldn't do the Unicorn Quest yet and had already used up all the guaranteed scrolls of chaos resistance and potions.

I got a lucky drop of a blessed ring of djinni summoning and made a wish for magical writing sets. I got three, and was able to fix my corruption issues, but ruined my mana ability (but it is ok, I was mainly melee anyway).

I went down and did the blue dragon quest and got needle and decided to come back up and kill the assasin prince to get sting. I picked up the corruptions needed to get into the quickling tree, and went and ate a lot of quickling corpses. My base speed was around 170!

I switched weapons from a sword and shield to duel wielding daggers (I had trained my dagger skill up some earlier as I had a penetrating knife I had found). Because with the speed I could often hit monsters four times before they had a chance to react, and with those two daggers, not many creatures can survive 4 hits.

My defense was much weaker (no shield), but I felt ready. Down to the mana temple I went. Here I made a big mistake! I forgot the master summoner was invisible and I ended up fighting him without being able to see him (he came out to the hallway to come after me). But because I was fighting before I was ready for him, I did not equip anything with death ray resistance. I should have died here, luckily my dual wielding blades and quickness let me defeat him easier than I ever have before, and I had a dead wizard laying at my feet almost before I realized what I was fighting.

Now down to D:50! No problem right? I was ready for the balors, and they didn't really pose a problem for me, but when I got down there, I was greeted with a tension room of named ancient white dragons with stat draining ability. This wouldn't have been a big deal, but I developed the corruptions mana battery (making my not be able to use wands) and the new one that makes your mouth into tentacles. It says it is suppose to make spell casting fail about 50% of the time, but for me it was more like 90% or 95% of the time (maybe because I was a troll). So these guys really put the hurt on. I had mana, perception, and appearance all at 1, and my dexterity in the single digits when I was done. Luckily my strength was still in the 40's and my toughness was around 20 (I had really trained these hard). My Learning oddly for a troll was also very high. I think it was in the 40's as well (thanks to a potion of exchange earlier in the game when I was training stats).

Anyway, fighting the balors was a breeze. Hit the with my right hand, left hand, step back. Repeat when the balor approached. All fell without much fanfare. The Ghost Lords on D:20 gave me pause. While I killed them all fairly easily a few got in unnatural aging attacks, and for a Troll that is very bad. I was an old man when I killed them all, and used up both my potions of youth I had brought along.

Anyway, I closed the chaos gate for a normal ending. The fight for D:20 finally put me over level 30 (each balor or two I killed leveled me up and I ended the game at level 36). So I did the unicorn quest and had all my corruptions cured again before I headed home with all my loot and became King of the Trolls. (about 10 months in game time)

oh, I did the Minotaur Maze for the first time ever this game, but the changes to it were not in this pre-release version, so I was sad I did it. I did not visit the library nor did I find Blup's mom. I did kill the Cat Lord using Melee (which is a first for me I think), but I had only killed one cat, so he wasn't too strong (after that I went around and slaughtered every cat I could find to make up for all the games of restraint).

(for the record, no save scumming was used. this is my first true victory as *I save scummed my gnomish wizards)
    Last edited by dezbend; 04-08-2013 at 11:59 PM.

I mispelled "Troll" in the title, and don't know how to edit it. Also, I don't know how to post the screen shots of my character bio like other people do. so sorry.

In windows 7 the easy way to get to the files (if you saved it at the end) is to type "adom" in the search bar. The file adom (not the @) should pop up after a second and then find your characters "name".vlg. open it (should be in notepad) and feel free to copy-paste into a [Code] followed by a [\Code] except a foward slash instead of backslash. In the editor you can paste it, highlight and and press the # button in the commands above as well.

There is an edit post button after you've posted that should let you change the title but i'm not entirely sure on that.

Side note: Didn't know ancient dragons could get the stat draining ability or that you could have a tension room of named things except Wyrms.
    Last edited by Tyrnyx; 04-09-2013 at 12:02 AM. Reason: mistakes.
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer

I did not save the file when I was done, so next time.

I think you are right, they were probably Wyrms not ancient white dragons. They were white capitol W's

How come you didn't have enough fire proofing. Ring of High Kings, Elemental Gauntlets + Elementalist level 6 power (which I assumed counted as innate resistance hence counts twice) should be enough. If not, my usual technique is to wander round ToEF level 1 until I get the corpse I need. I don't take damage too quickly that way.

I think the innate fire resistance on lvl 6 elementalists is bugged.. I seem to remember something like that (but might be wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I think the innate fire resistance on lvl 6 elementalists is bugged.. I seem to remember something like that (but might be wrong).
    Indeed. It was only fixed for pre 6.

The other day, I took a Human Barbarian into the tower wearing a blessed and uncursed rings of fire resistance and she had intrinsic fire resistance.

There was absolutely no messages ever regarding resisting the intense heat and she took damage continuously. This was in pre 13. Not sure how that works?
    Learn to learn.