Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how often do people actually finish a game?

in my prime, I had a very high percentage chance of making any wiz I rolled win.
    These days I'd be lucky to go 1 in 5 for casters, and maybe twice as bad for melee.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I've been playing since early 2000s (not consistently) and I've only won four times. 4/(10000)... 'bout that (all wins came in the passed two/three years). But once you've done it once it's easier. The game definitely gets easier.

On my current High Score List I've won twice now. 6 have made it past the ToEF - "the should have wons". ~15 have made it to the CC (I usually try to go through the UD first). 40ish characters in my history that made it passed level 1.

If I played more and tried harder I could maybe say I win 1 in 30. I'm trying to be a voice of moderation. Not quiet as experienced or hardcore.

This number would be lower if I hadn't spoiled myself silly before ever really playing adom.

On a related note: have any of you hardcore fellows filled an entire High Score list with just wins. I believe that might a great "achievement" for the list.
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrnyx View Post
    On a related note: have any of you hardcore fellows filled an entire High Score list with just wins. I believe that might a great "achievement" for the list.
    I doubt there's more than a handful of people who could claim 100 wins to their name (I'm nowhere close to that), so if I had to guess, I'd say it probably hasn't happened.

There's also problems that you can mess up your highscore pretty easily by messing around doing stupid stuff or testing things. Eight of the top ten scores on my list are all ridiculous scores generated by fooling around with ADOMBot--games lost in 300 turns with 100,000,000 points each (mostly from my a few little puzzles thing).
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

we spoke about it on irc once, and I have won several dozen, and sami has
    too (I think more than myself), but I don't think anyone I know remembers
    for sure if they have hit 100 or not.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

It depends a lot on things. Like, is rerolling for starsign allowed? Technically you could count every reroll as a loss.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I think I'm at about 26. My last win was Hocus Pocus from the Let's Play. I haven't played ADOM in a long while; I'll pick it up again when 1.2.0 is out.

It should be possible, with perfect play, to win like 90% of ADOM games with randomly rolled PCs. Sort of like how there are only two or three unwinnable starting positions on FreeCell. Realistically, it depends very much on how close to the abyss characters have to walk. A gray elven thief has to tiptoe along the edge; an orcish barbarian goes merrily skipping across the meadow, far from the cares of the world.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    There's also problems that you can mess up your highscore pretty easily by messing around doing stupid stuff or testing things. Eight of the top ten scores on my list are all ridiculous scores generated by fooling around with ADOMBot--games lost in 300 turns with 100,000,000 points each (mostly from my a few little puzzles thing).
    I keep two ADOM directories: one for proper play, another for hacked characters made to test things. This is mostly due to a superstition about keeping normal and edited PCs separate (lest the "real" instance get contaminated?), as I don't care about score.

The puzzles were great by the way, I liked them a lot!
    "And light there be!"

I've played for 1,5 years now, and you can see my wins right here.
    I'm going to win with Dark Elves of all classes.
    Mindcrafter, Necromancer, Beastfighter, ULE Archer, UNE Barbarian done.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    in my prime, I had a very high percentage chance of making any wiz I rolled win.
    These days I'd be lucky to go 1 in 5 for casters, and maybe twice as bad for melee.
    The thing with a wizard was if you know what you are doing, you know when to back off, when to scum for more spells/WI/To, and you always have a get out of jail free card (teleport) available. At one point i was 100% wins on casters making it past the ToeF.

melee is alot harder, because you can always get a "oh wtf" moment, even at the higher levels there is always *some* danger.

I would have at least 40-50 wins, i've won with all classes in 1.1.1. But then i've been playing this since Gamma 12.