Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: From old rollplayer to T.B.

Default From old rollplayer to T.B.

It's bad. Trully is. Game failed majorly becauze you almost had nothing to offer beginers on how to start except few MINOR and i say realy MINOR advices, and even ones with game expirience have real struggle, good game changed my life to a living nighthmare. Several days when i got with grey elf archer to level 25 and was in the middle of the fight i had power outage and .... goodbye goodbye everything. Horrible. Placing some checkpoints, and saiy : "that this is easy mode" would people new to the game, then later when you familiarise your self with a game you try the real blast, but in this stage, it doesn't get 2/10 on the score level. Sorry i was honest.

Is so good. I think I maybe had lost good characters to 50+ crashes/power outages/BSODs. I still play the game. So good it is. Honestly. 9/10.

Perseverance is good. I only read manual in game and was able to finish. Advise enough for me, maybe not for everyone. ADOM is difficult and that is good.

UPS? Make Backup of savegame only for use when power goes out.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 05-09-2013 at 09:38 PM.
    Learn to learn.

This game is not for everyone.
    It is actually a niche product which has recently been refurbished a bit and advertised in several places.
    This contributed to its popularity but in the end, it's still niche and thus not for everyone.
    The way this game is right now is as it should be - difficult.
    I always said that ADoM is the most difficult computer game I've ever played and, believe me, I played a lot of games in my life, ever since Civilization I came out in 1991 .

ADoM is supposed to be hard, it's supposed to make you gnash your teeth and occasionally hit your keyboard in rage.
    If you can't handle that - don't play it.
    Computer games in recent years have gained a LOT in popularity, which pretty much means that there are MANY more casual gamers around.
    Expectations were raised in regards to visuals, sound and game mechanics.
    Adom only has the last of those three. This is why it has to be the way it is - difficult, annoying, taxing, infuriating, but also challenging, gratifying, replayable and rewarding.

A casual gamer should not play ADoM.

Occasionally some people will only focus on playing a single game (like ADoM) or a single genre (roguelike) and that is enough to consider them experienced players.
    All other gamers that focused on mainstream games in the past and now suddenly want something entirely new, should tread carefully.
    In my opinion, there should be no easy mode here. No tutorials, no hints, no advices or directions, no holding hands and singing kumbaya.
    This isn't Skyrim where you're directed towards your goal on the map and you'd have to be blind to get lost.
    This isn't modern warfare'esque shooter that can be finished in 20 hours without ever playing it before.

I'm sorry if that's what you expected; I myself am an avid RPG player but ADoM is no classic RPG and should not be treated as such.
    I always thought of ADoM vs other games as sports disciplines:
    You have athletics, swimming, skiing, team play in football, basketball, volleyball...

Adom is more like chess in this world.

It doesn't require endurance or muscle strength. It doesn't involve injuries or foul play.
    To retain the proper gaming language: it's not about mouse accuracy or low ping in online shooters.
    It's not about fast key clicking while discussing tactics with team mates over TeamSpeak.

The only thing that matters is patience and cunning mind. F5 and F9 are useless here, you can't save and reload when the bullet doesn't hit the target.
    You can play Call of Duty or GTA, you can have lots of fun with Mass Effect or Half Life and you can challenge your planning with Civilization or Heroes of Might and Magic.
    But all those games are in a different branch of gaming world, just like chess (or snooker) is a different kind of competition compared to weightlifting or marathon.

When you understand what that entails, come back and play again.

PS. How I rate ADoM? 9/10
    Trust me, I died many more times than you, playing since gamma16. Never got discouraged, only encouraged to try again and again and again until I learned. Good luck.
    Last edited by Blasphemous; 05-09-2013 at 09:46 PM.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    It's not about fast key clicking while discussing tactics with team mates over TeamSpeak.
    That gave me a good laugh. Leeroy chaaaarge!!
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I find it easier to deal with the extreme difficulty of ADOM by imagining the RNG (randon number generator) as a cruel, uncaring, God-like Dungeon Master which is the real power behind the invasion of Ancardia, that of true PrImAl cHaoS.

Sometimes, it can even reach into our world and do things like make the power go out, which of course kills your latest promising character.

But that's okay, because just like a pen and paper role-playing game, you can just roll up another character when your old one is killed.

TLDR: it's supposed to be difficult, that's what makes it endlessly playable, stop whining. 9/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    Is so good. I think I maybe had lost good characters to 50+ crashes/power outages/BSODs. I still play the game. So good it is. Honestly. 9/10.

Perseverance is good. I only read manual in game and was able to finish. Advise enough for me, maybe not for everyone. ADOM is difficult and that is good.

UPS? Make Backup of savegame only for use when power goes out.
    You finished the game without spoilers?????? How did you ever figure out what to do with the beeswax? If adom is only 9/10 what game ranks 10/10?
    You don't have to be taught all that much; you just need to acquire more cautiousness, an almost healthy amount of sheer paranoia, and a more fine-tuned "OH SHIT RUN!" reflex. ~Silfir

10 of 10 is surely reserved for ADOM 1.2.0. I play ADOM and table-top Dungeons & Dragons. Everything else is just unimaginative and boring. I absolutely recommend you keep playing. ADOM made me smarter. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Cash View Post
    You finished the game without spoilers?????? How did you ever figure out what to do with the beeswax? If adom is only 9/10 what game ranks 10/10?
    That is a long time ago, I think it was the mad minstrel that gave the proper hint. I think there is about 3 hints in total.
    The more daunting figuring out was D:49. My PC made no move for about 3 weeks, then one day it hit me in the face like a brick.

There must always be room for improvement, hence 9/10. edit2 - 9 because of the detail.

Edit - My friends used to say, "Why do you keep playing that game that clearly has no end?" I responded, "Because it does have one." Still, when I did win, they wouldn't believe me.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 05-16-2013 at 08:13 AM.

This is a spirit of roguelikes, you know. The game is supposed to be very hard. This is what makes victory so rewarding.
    I'm going to win with Dark Elves of all classes.
    Mindcrafter, Necromancer, Beastfighter, ULE Archer, UNE Barbarian done.

Quote Originally Posted by Cash View Post
    You finished the game without spoilers?????? How did you ever figure out what to do with the beeswax?
    It's not so difficult to solve that without spoilers. I also did it back in the day (I didn't finish the game unspoiled, but almost - I made the Mana Temple without spoilers).

Back in the 80's, there were plenty of games that routinely required solving puzzles much more difficult than that - that wouldn't even be considered especially difficult back then.