Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official ADOM torrents

Lightbulb Official ADOM torrents

Hi,

from now on we are offering "official" ADOM torrents that will help us distribute the (pre)releases. BitTorrent is a clever 'peer-to-peer file sharing protocol' that helps to distribute large amounts of data over the Internet. Since the ADOM download size will increase at lot because of the new graphics and music, BitTorrent reduces the necessary server traffic and allows faster downloads for all.

The only thing you need is a BitTorrent client, there are lots available for free (e.g. BitTorrent, Transmission or uTorrent). Then just download the ".torrent" file of the version you need and add it to your client. Your client then starts downloading, the speed is dependent on the distribution of the file.

It's still possible to download the ADOM (pre)releases directly, but if you have a BitTorrent client installed please use the torrent file instead!

Please remember to leave your BitTorrent client running after you've finished your download to help distribute the files. Thanks!
    Last edited by jt; 05-20-2013 at 11:50 AM.
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa

I'll admit, I don't know much about Torrents, but I've been avoiding them all my life. Don't they spread malware? Won't they make the prereleases available to all?
    Learn to learn.

Torrent *.tor files only link to content, they don't contain any content, except information about file location on other computers (of people also using a torrent client).
    They don't spread any malware, no more than suspicious websites or any legitimate sites hosting content like program installations that add useless toolbars, extra software, ask for emails etc. Those are much more dangerous than torrents. Torrent content can be rated and it's easy to obtain it from secure sources. It only downloads the file if the checksum from every location is the same. I've been using torrent files for many years now and never had any problems.

Just try to avoid downloading from suspicious sites or downloading .zip/.rar files named "Iron Man 5: The final frontier DIVX BDRIP h264" or some other rubbish which has no right to exist and when it does, it's a 100% malware. Adom is relatively unpopular compared to many other common search results, thus it's at a small risk of being targeted by any malware - that stuff relies on popularity to be spread far and wide.
    As long as the torrent remains shared among adom players, it's safe. Any addition of "something" to the torrent file (by a botnet recruiter or malware spreader) causes it to stop being listed as another source since MD5/size and/or CRC don't match.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

What Blasphemous said.

We don't enforce anyone to use the torrent files, so feel free to use the normal download as before. But if you use torrents, make sure that you download the torrent file from the official website (www.ancardia.com)!

What is the reason for the torrents? ADOM right now has a download size of about 1 MB. The version with NotEye integration is about 150 MB big, resulting in 150 times the traffic as before. Our server has a high traffic limit, but we estimate that it's not enough. Maybe for a single closed prerelease, but not for a publicly available release which thousands of people download. So these torrents help you and us at the same time.
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa

Quote Originally Posted by jt View Post
    Stuff
    Thumbs up for embracing a technology many other game developers might dismiss as harmful to their interests.

I would suggest adding a small warning encouraging the use of torrents in the download site, at least for the versions including NotEye; maybe something on the FAQ too (since the public versions also have torrents). Otherwise, most people who don't read the forums will notice the extra button, but just keep on using the direct download.

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    Just try to avoid downloading from suspicious sites or downloading .zip/.rar files named "Iron Man 5: The final frontier DIVX BDRIP h264" or some other rubbish which has no right to exist and when it does, it's a 100% malware.
    Haha, that's hilarious. Reminds me of a post on another forum where someone explained the same, but using "Harry Potter 8 1836p" and "500Kbps MP3" as examples

If everyone gets the torrents from www.ancardia.com and doesn't deliberately post them elsewhere, this is a secure way to spread the new versions. The only qualm some might have is that your IP is completely visible by those you're transferring data from or to.
    "And light there be!"

nothing wrong with 150MB imo

I will gladly help seed.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Seeding from both servers. Only P5 and P13 have torrent files?
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

I am now sharing every ADoM version torrent. Will share the other ones as they become available.

Moved download size discussion to new thread.

How are things going with the addition of the torrents? I mean, are they helping in taking some of the load off the servers?